Amplifier advice needed please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I was going to build a new set of subwoofers but I've changed my mind.
I think that using the old Cerwin Vega Vega 124's in 45 litre sealed boxes will do in the short term.
The problem I had using them was simply the lack of bass boost where it was needed.
My tops are using a decent enough Vifa 10" as the mid bass and using passive sealed the CV were not reaching deep enough.
Bass and subwoofer amps from the commercial sector are now so cheap and so powerful and have DSP that I don't think it makes sense not to use something I already have and use DSP for the performance I want and need.
The Vega 124 has just enough excursion at 19mm [ 38mm P2P] to take some DSP at ~30 Hz where I think it's needed.
I have some idea of what's needed but not enough to make an informed purchase. Budget wise I can afford something like a Behringer
I want a 2 channel amp for the stereo subs but as I already use a cheap Behringer XO for the signal split from the pre-amp I may not need integral crossovers in the sub amp
The drivers should be able to handle 250 watts easily and I'm not allowed to play my music that loudly anyway
Any advice for a cash strapped speaker builder with mainly old school gear?

Step One in fixing a problem is knowing what the problem is. How hard is your amp working and how much headroom does it have left? A a lot of screwball exaggeration of power requirements around. Hint: an oscilloscope (such as computer software, but stand-alone gear better) can tell you if you have clipping. Or with DSP, you could boost the bass incrementally and see where problems begin.

Barely anything on recordings at 30 Hz. But very big audio power (and cone movement) as you get that low. So aiming not quite so low means needing nothing like that power.

My impression is that many listeners can't tell the difference between great car audio booming at 80 Hz and organ pedal notes.

I don't understand how anybody in the DIYaudio fan club could run their system without DSP, such as the inexpensive Behringer DCX2496 or miniDSP.

B.

Last edited:
You may not need as much power as you think for subs. I started out with a Carver M1.0t, then Peavey PV8.5, NAD 2200, and ended up running my subs off a modest DIY amp with only about 40 watts a side (Reg Williamson's 40/40). That was still enough for bass I could feel. Without checking sub levels with an SPL meter, it can be tempting to have them much too loud: for some time, I had mine at least 10 dB too high, which happens to be the difference between 40 watts and 400 watts.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I know I need 100w and I have an old 200w monster here. When I had the pre-amp with parametric EQ I was using +3 or 4dB at 30 with a broad "Q" and the subsonic set @18Hz.
So I am wondering which amp I can get away with money wise.
I never use all the power available to me but it's there.
The old Pre had a problem and several businesses here told me it couldn't be fixed so I sold it for spare parts. Regretted it ever since.
If a cheap Behringer would do the job reliably I'd be happy enough but if I'd be better off saving for something from Yamaha I'll start saving.
I was using the sub below 80Hz using a cheap CX crossover unit and it needs to do double duty for music and movies.
The old Vega 124 isn't as efficient as the 10" Vifa mid-bass so it needs a bit more power to keep volumes levels similar.
I know I don't need 150 watts for the Vifa mid-bass but the Rotel 1070 is what I have, ditto the P13/D27 midrange and tweeter running from 400 and my old Kenwood monoblocks.
Would replacing the current XO with a DCX 2496 be an alternative seeing as I already Tri-amp?
More expense option but only by a hundred dollars or so

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.