Powerhandling in the real world - driver & enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This gold! Thank you all for sharing you knowledge on this topic, no doubt some of you paid a bit for this visdom by initially making a few misstakes which as we all know is very human and the way we really learn, albeit the hard way, and thanks to your contributions here perhaps others, my self included, will not have to run in to costly and/or bussiness and reputation damaging failures.

I'm not a professional in this field by any means, but those that are starting up or aspiring to will benefit from this no doubt, it is not as simple as it might first appear, and I fear that there might be failures out there waiting to happen due to well intentioned but misunderstood balancing of amplifier output power toward a driver specified under different conditions and housed in a design that changes the prerequisities furter quite abit.

To see all the impacts on power handling all the way from material crestfactor through how the driver was specified and how that correlates to specified amplifier output power on to enclosure design aspects and time of operation is not by any means an easy task, and I am very much still learning about it.

Please keep going, the initial question may have already been answered but I'm fairly sure there is more to this is still to be said.

Bhaha yes, but there are cases where you "put that thing" quite a lot of power, or let it drink, and then you don't know if it is burn-in or burn-out. Also depends how soon do you smell it. If it is within two minutes, then it is rather wrong. Other than that, yes...
It is nice sign that you are in the ballpark of just the right power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.