Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Dayton 15" IB in W-baffle
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton 15" IB in W-baffle

As the topic says. I'm looking to use my two Dayton 15" IB in as small an configuration as possible.
I don't need them to go below 35Hz and I would like to have them roll off at around 100Hz or so.

I have a couple of populated and tested FreeDSP classic boards and the means to program them via Sigma Studio.

I also have an unmodified DCX2496 (version with memory card slot).

I can use EDA's, decent at simulation SW but know very little about loudspeaker design.
Old 19th January 2021, 03:46 PM   #2
esl 63 is offline esl 63  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Plezze sell them to me. I need two more in my setup. :-)
Old 20th January 2021, 08:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nobody?
Anyone who can tell me in what, small, configuration these sound good?
Old 20th January 2021, 11:03 AM   #4
esl 63 is offline esl 63  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So what is the real question?
Old 20th January 2021, 12:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The best, small, OB/W-baffle.
Preferably a design, design plans.
Old 20th January 2021, 01:08 PM   #6
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

What have you found yourself?
Old 20th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Not much as I've got limited time looking with chronic pain and a 4-year old daughter.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:16 PM   #8
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, i bet you will need bass boost to get down there.

Not many infintite baffle / open baffle fans here.

I had a qts .4 12" with fs of 50hz in an open baffle with 2' deep wings.
A buddy here tested his of same dimensions and the math worked out.
Dip 280hz, peak at 140hz, then rolling off below that.

I know it is not what you are asking, but my rip buddy wanted to try those 2 drivers in a bandpass......
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:51 AM   #9
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Infinite baffle subwoofer drivers are an excellent choice for a dipole subwoofer.

The dimensions of a W frame are not critical. Make sure the magnet vents are free to breathe and that the cone does not hit anything. Narrow slots (cross sectional area much smaller than Sd) effectively add cone mass which reduces fs and increases Qts. This can be beneficial if you want to use the subwoofer below its natural fs. I would avoid it as fs already is 21.5 Hz. The slots exhibit a parasitic 1/4 wavelength resonance which should be above the passband of the subwoofer, so slot depth should not be too large. On the other hand, a larger depth spaces the front and rear of the dipole further out, which increases efficiency which is good.

In practice, W frames usually are designed such that the woofers barely fit and the slots have a cross sectional area of about Sd. It is OK to stick the magnet through a panel, as is done in most 'ripole' subwoofers.
Example: SLS Ripole Subs - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET

One of the woofers can be flipped to cancel out even order components of the harmonic distortion. This however does not affect odd order distortion components, which are more offending to the ear. Some people say that even order components sound pleasent and should be left in place.
Example: Dipole Woofer

You would need a microphone which is flat between 20 and 1000 Hz to measure the frequency response of the finished subwoofer, so you can determine what equalization is required.

Last edited by TBTL; 22nd January 2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
Infinite baffle subwoofer drivers are an excellent choice for a dipole subwoofer.

The dimensions of a W frame are not critical. Make sure the magnet vents are free to breathe and that the cone does not hit anything. Narrow slots (cross sectional area much smaller than Sd) effectively add cone mass which reduces fs and increases Qts. This can be beneficial if you want to use the subwoofer below its natural fs. I would avoid it as fs already is 21.5 Hz. The slots exhibit a parasitic 1/4 wavelength resonance which should be above the passband of the subwoofer, so slot depth should not be too large. On the other hand, a larger depth spaces the front and rear of the dipole further out, which increases efficiency which is good.

In practice, W frames usually are designed such that the woofers barely fit and the slots have a cross sectional area of about Sd. It is OK to stick the magnet through a panel, as is done in most 'ripole' subwoofers.
Example: SLS Ripole Subs - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET

One of the woofers can be flipped to cancel out even order components of the harmonic distortion. This however does not affect odd order distortion components, which are more offending to the ear. Some people say that even order components sound pleasent and should be left in place.
Example: Dipole Woofer

You would need a microphone which is flat between 20 and 1000 Hz to measure the frequency response of the finished subwoofer, so you can determine what equalization is required.
Thank you

Dayton 15" IB in W-baffleHide this!Advertise here!