Go Back   Home > Forums > >

So can I make a 1x2x4' bass horn? Or not really?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2021, 08:04 AM   #1
head_unit is offline head_unit  United States
diyAudio Member

Default So can I make a 1x2x4' bass horn? Or not really?

I'm ruminating how to make a set of storage cabinets and matching speakers, and it occurred to me to wonder about this. I'm mentally picturing a driver(s) buried inside with a kind of snail horn unfolding to the mouth however I'm not stuck on that idea.
- The dimensions 4' tall, 2' deep, 1' wide are approximate but close.
- Normally these would sit in front of a wall...if I moved them apart for serious listening and wider stage one would be in front of a not-too-solid door. Two could go in a corner but the center channel obviously not.
- Since the layout would be Left - storage cabinet - Center -storage cabinet - Right, I think the horn mouth would have to be the front or back, not one of the sides.
- If the mouth occupies the entire 1'x4' it probably has to be on the back, which would be not too far out from a wall.
- Passive crossovers as I want to run multichannel and room correction, which without a billion dollars seems like the solution is an AVR.

If you think it IS feasible, how low could they go? And how ripply? This would be much more for music, I don't really watch movies at crazy high levels and I don't tend to watch much stuff with crazy loud effects.

-The competing idea would be maybe twin 18s on the side of the box, big horn on the front. This implies the horn would need to go pretty high, unless I got into having a midbass driver and 3-way (ick). Possibly these horns could be separately powered to run as subwoofers, with some kind of pro woofer/big horn combo as the "satellite" portion I guess.

Last edited by head_unit; 13th January 2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:25 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

do you mean like this size?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Brian Steele is online now Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
I'm ruminating how to make a set of storage cabinets and matching speakers, and it occurred to me to wonder about this. I'm mentally picturing a driver(s) buried inside with a kind of snail horn unfolding to the mouth however I'm not stuck on that idea.
- The dimensions 4' tall, 2' deep, 1' wide are approximate but close.
That's what the BOXPLAN workbooks on my website are for

It might be possible to fit a single-fold TH in that location.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
do you mean like this size?
yeah, like that size!
Old 13th January 2021, 06:03 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the mouth occupies the entire 1'x4'.......how low could they go? And how ripply?
1x4 = 10'

~1129/10 = ~113 Hz

Setting on and perpendicular to the floor [2pi] = ~0.707x = ~80 Hz

Solid/massive wall [1pi] = ~0.707x [full octave] = ~56 Hz

Path-length, throat area, room modes will set the amount/amplitude of ripple, ultimate usable low corner F.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
my website
Hey! Semi-inductance! The unsung...well, not hero, not villain either. I was vaguely thinking I could have a snail spiral inside, though I'd have to figure out if a local cabinet maker (I need to find one) could handle that.

Mostly I'm wondering if the mouth is big enough to go very low, and if facing to a wall will mess things up. Sigh, of course it will, what am I saying. Mmmm...unless the horn split and exited the sides? Or the back AND the top?
Old 13th January 2021, 07:47 PM   #7
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mostly I'm wondering if the mouth is big enough to go very low, and if facing to a wall will mess things up. Sigh, of course it will, what am I saying. Mmmm...unless the horn split and exited the sides? Or the back AND the top?
Head_unit,

I built a “snail” front loaded horn of the approximate dimensions you are looking for, though using a 12” driver, opted for a 17” width. The tall, thin cabinet resembled a domino:

Lab 12 Domino DFLH

To make a long story short, the Domino DFLH made a lot of upper bass, a smooth bass rolloff but -6dB at 50Hz. Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size. The ported cabinet could be made to exactly your desired dimensions if the driver was “V” (slot) loaded on the 1’ side, and could extend flat to around 25-30Hz.
Using the Keystone tapped horn as a model, a single LAB12 version 14” wide x 45” tall, 22.5” deep, could result in around -3dB response at 37Hz.

Art
Old 14th January 2021, 06:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size.
By ported horn do you mean where the rear chamber is ported?
The link makes me wonder about an offset transmission line. In turn, that somehow is conjuring visions of the Bose Acoustic Wave Cannon

I love horns but so far I'm not feeling this is a better approach than direct radiator, especially considering proximity to boundaries.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Booger weldz is offline Booger weldz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Head_unit,

I built a “snail” front loaded horn of the approximate dimensions you are looking for, though using a 12” driver, opted for a 17” width. The tall, thin cabinet resembled a domino:

Lab 12 Domino DFLH

To make a long story short, the Domino DFLH made a lot of upper bass, a smooth bass rolloff but -6dB at 50Hz. Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size. The ported cabinet could be made to exactly your desired dimensions if the driver was “V” (slot) loaded on the 1’ side, and could extend flat to around 25-30Hz.
Using the Keystone tapped horn as a model, a single LAB12 version 14” wide x 45” tall, 22.5” deep, could result in around -3dB response at 37Hz.

Art
Is there a good drawing of this? I think ive been chasing this idea and by adding the tap at 3/4 down ive confused it into something its not? Is it the sim or is it the segmental distances? One is harmonic intervals inside the folded lengths? Increasing CSA in increments that only occur at each fold and thus add up to a result in harmonic spread ant the individuals which all are the fundamental

Last edited by Booger weldz; 14th January 2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:15 AM   #10
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Could one use the side walls as the mouth, kind of like half a Klipsch? Not a horn fan, so just tossing it out there.

So can I make a 1x2x4' bass horn? Or not really?Hide this!Advertise here!