So can I make a 1x2x4' bass horn? Or not really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm ruminating how to make a set of storage cabinets and matching speakers, and it occurred to me to wonder about this. I'm mentally picturing a driver(s) buried inside with a kind of snail horn unfolding to the mouth however I'm not stuck on that idea.
- The dimensions 4' tall, 2' deep, 1' wide are approximate but close.
- Normally these would sit in front of a wall...if I moved them apart for serious listening and wider stage one would be in front of a not-too-solid door. Two could go in a corner but the center channel obviously not.
- Since the layout would be Left - storage cabinet - Center -storage cabinet - Right, I think the horn mouth would have to be the front or back, not one of the sides.
- If the mouth occupies the entire 1'x4' it probably has to be on the back, which would be not too far out from a wall.
- Passive crossovers as I want to run multichannel and room correction, which without a billion dollars seems like the solution is an AVR.

If you think it IS feasible, how low could they go? And how ripply? This would be much more for music, I don't really watch movies at crazy high levels and I don't tend to watch much stuff with crazy loud effects.

-The competing idea would be maybe twin 18s on the side of the box, big horn on the front. This implies the horn would need to go pretty high, unless I got into having a midbass driver and 3-way (ick). Possibly these horns could be separately powered to run as subwoofers, with some kind of pro woofer/big horn combo as the "satellite" portion I guess.

Last edited:
do you mean like this size?

pr6SWOT.jpg

I'm ruminating how to make a set of storage cabinets and matching speakers, and it occurred to me to wonder about this. I'm mentally picturing a driver(s) buried inside with a kind of snail horn unfolding to the mouth however I'm not stuck on that idea.
- The dimensions 4' tall, 2' deep, 1' wide are approximate but close.

That's what the BOXPLAN workbooks on my website are for :)

It might be possible to fit a single-fold TH in that location.

my website
Hey! Semi-inductance! The unsung...well, not hero, not villain either. I was vaguely thinking I could have a snail spiral inside, though I'd have to figure out if a local cabinet maker (I need to find one) could handle that.

Mostly I'm wondering if the mouth is big enough to go very low, and if facing to a wall will mess things up. Sigh, of course it will, what am I saying. Mmmm...unless the horn split and exited the sides? Or the back AND the top?

Mostly I'm wondering if the mouth is big enough to go very low, and if facing to a wall will mess things up. Sigh, of course it will, what am I saying. Mmmm...unless the horn split and exited the sides? Or the back AND the top?
Head_unit,

I built a “snail” front loaded horn of the approximate dimensions you are looking for, though using a 12” driver, opted for a 17” width. The tall, thin cabinet resembled a domino:

Lab 12 Domino DFLH

To make a long story short, the Domino DFLH made a lot of upper bass, a smooth bass rolloff but -6dB at 50Hz. Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size. The ported cabinet could be made to exactly your desired dimensions if the driver was “V” (slot) loaded on the 1’ side, and could extend flat to around 25-30Hz.
Using the Keystone tapped horn as a model, a single LAB12 version 14” wide x 45” tall, 22.5” deep, could result in around -3dB response at 37Hz.

Art

Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size.
By ported horn do you mean where the rear chamber is ported?
The link makes me wonder about an offset transmission line. In turn, that somehow is conjuring visions of the Bose Acoustic Wave Cannon :p

I love horns but so far I'm not feeling this is a better approach than direct radiator, especially considering proximity to boundaries.

Head_unit,

I built a “snail” front loaded horn of the approximate dimensions you are looking for, though using a 12” driver, opted for a 17” width. The tall, thin cabinet resembled a domino:

Lab 12 Domino DFLH

To make a long story short, the Domino DFLH made a lot of upper bass, a smooth bass rolloff but -6dB at 50Hz. Far smoother and extended bass could be made using the same LAB-12 driver in a ported or tapped horn of similar size. The ported cabinet could be made to exactly your desired dimensions if the driver was “V” (slot) loaded on the 1’ side, and could extend flat to around 25-30Hz.
Using the Keystone tapped horn as a model, a single LAB12 version 14” wide x 45” tall, 22.5” deep, could result in around -3dB response at 37Hz.

Art

Is there a good drawing of this? I think ive been chasing this idea and by adding the tap at 3/4 down ive confused it into something its not? Is it the sim or is it the segmental distances? One is harmonic intervals inside the folded lengths? Increasing CSA in increments that only occur at each fold and thus add up to a result in harmonic spread ant the individuals which all are the fundamental

Last edited:
1x4 = 10'

~1129/10 = ~113 Hz

Setting on and perpendicular to the floor [2pi] = ~0.707x = ~80 Hz

Solid/massive wall [1pi] = ~0.707x [full octave] = ~56 Hz

Path-length, throat area, room modes will set the amount/amplitude of ripple, ultimate usable low corner F.

200cm2, 400cm2, 800cm2, 1600cm2, at 120 cm increments? And split at 360cm by a tapped driver entry? Substitute 120cm for 80 cm if needed at two points? And put the driver at 200cm/0cm start middle whatever you wanna call it...tapped ...split. Now shrink the CSA used in each to a-lesser and lesser area, and i start to see a happy median? Yet i get confused because theres a fold in those all thats not represented and if its a 180 turn each time its a 50/50 LP filter for each as upstream frequncues? Am i to guess? or can i guess? i can see offset driver works in the same way... but im
Not offsetting a driver im dividing its entry. Something seems to work here and if i cant sim the folds i cant see the idea i can barely create experimenting with lots of pvc pipe parts over and over :(

Last edited:
1)Is there a good drawing of this?
2)I think ive been chasing this idea and by adding the tap at 3/4 down ive confused it into something its not?
3)Is it the sim or is it the segmental distances?
4)One is harmonic intervals inside the folded lengths?

1) The photos of the actual construction template drawings in the "Lab 12 Domino DFLH" thread are the only ones made.

I don't understand your questions 2, 3 and 4.

Art

1) The photos of the actual construction template drawings in the "Lab 12 Domino DFLH" thread are the only ones made.

I don't understand your questions 2, 3 and 4.

Art

Im always trying to fold on harmonic intervals and sneak that into pipe segment expansions in the ‘horn response’ sim that doesnt show a fold but hints at a variety of things and one im particular to has always been a sort of keystone layout shape, though its skewed for the 12” driver i typically use because its motorforce is cheap and expendable... it models in ‘pairs’ like a 18ds115 single will, but i shrink the throat area CSA or add damping in anyway/many ways to fill in the slight differences otherwise usually. i wasnt sure if that was part of this design and couldnt see the pics clearly, or tge outlines on the plywood

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.