twins

Last layer on the sides,so 4 layers of 3mm mdf, and 1x 3.6mm plywood..

Attachments

• IMAG2891.jpg
    IMAG2891.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG2894.jpg
    IMAG2894.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG2895.jpg
    IMAG2895.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG2892.jpg
    IMAG2892.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 155
So got all the shaping, and first sanding completed today, a few gaps to fill and seal the mdf then we start the finish.. Took about 4 experiments with different stains but have settled on tinting clear varnish with 1 part in 10 with a jarrah timber stain as Its very easy to over whelm the wood grain.

Attachments

• IMAG2935.jpg
    IMAG2935.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG2937.jpg
    IMAG2937.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG2936.jpg
    IMAG2936.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 71
So far three coats of tinted varnish, starting to get some nice depth.

Under lights the plywood gives off some odd horizontal highlights, possibly from the way the veneers were cut.??

Probably give it atleast 2more coats to get a nice smooth finish tge ply has some fairly open grain to fill.

Once i am happy i will mask it all up and start the sealiing, priming and painting the remaing mdf parts

Attachments

• IMAG2943.jpg
    IMAG2943.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 70
planet 10 so in an isobaric arrangement?

could a similar out put not be acheived by wiring the drivers out of phase with each other?

As an update the 6th coat of clear goes on the side paneling this week That should be it..... once I am happy with the finish i will start the sealer filler, to the front etc.

My plans have changed a little in that all the front, ends, and back will now be painted in two pack black. This should give a much more durable and hopefully better finish... Would love to have it done by end of month.

Ok.. Enough winging about how hard it is to laydown deep Black 2 pack...

May I introduce the Boom Boom twins.!!!

Each speaker is about 45-50kg 109cm tall, 53cm deep and 41cm wide..~135L internal volume. I am using two Peerless XXLS 830952 aluminium cone drivers wired in series per box.

I h The first sub i made utilizing these speakers which have served me well for the last 10years.. Then a few years agao I found someone advertising two more drivers for sale. I had allways wanted twin subs upfront and this was my oppertunity.

As happy as i was with my first attempt and speaker building i allways wanted something a bit more special, so curved laminated sides, and a gloss black and timber look, all features you see on super high end speakers in the $10000+ club.

Last time I used iron on cherry veneer for the wood effect not overly happy with that. This time I used 3.6mm rainforrest plywood over 3mm mdf sheets as my final and 5th layer on the curved sides. Experimenting with jarrah stain in the clear varnish. Realllllly happy😁

This will both be powered by the same Dayton 1000w stand alaone sub amp.