Which 10" driver for 4m TL?

There is a big rubber band around the magnet. Does it have an acoustic function?
Yes, it protects others from your (expletive deleted) screams when the edge of the heavy ceramic magnets crush or cut your fingers when you loose your grip.

Contrary to GM's observation, (the 900 series ceramic magnets weighed over twice as much as the Alnico magnets which it replaced when Cobalt became Unobtanium) rubber bumpers are added for cosmetic reasons, and to protect the hard edge of the magnet from chipping- those chips can cut like a (ceramic) knife. You won't see rubber bumpers on smooth cast Alnico or Neo magnet structures.

I've removed loads of rubber bumpers from LAB12 woofers, they have enough trouble getting rid of heat without putting an insulator around the magnet ;^)

Last edited:
Great choice on the drivers! IMO, they are the best looking subwoofer drivers out there, thick black surround which represents the drivers excursion capabilities and smart inverted aluminium cone. Some photos of the front of the driver would be nice! Haha!

I plan on buying two to replace the two 10" peerless drivers in my ported design.

Guys,
Since I already got my wood cut the design is fixed more or less.
But on the inside I could still make some changes.
Now I just made a comparison between the TL (left) and a vented box (right).
What do think? Should I consider swap or not?

Attachments

• TL vs Vented.png
    TL vs Vented.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 291
‘Path’ is clearly half of the vertical height in both based on the pictures. You are leaving 100cm if acoustically significant whiskey in the bottle. but in a side note, they look awesome and i bet they are even better in person asthetically! I dont know of i would tune a 25 hz driver with 0.5 qts to 15, but maybe under low power or ?

Last edited:
Yeah, a good ROT is a 1/2 octave [max] = 0.707x Fs = ~17.68 Hz since there's already a doubling of excursion from whatever it is at Fs @ 'X' power and why a 4th - higher order hi-pass is a good plan in many cases unless located hard in a rigid/massive corner.

GM

Driver location does not impact line length. Only the structure of the generated quarter-wave resonances.

dave

I don't follow; I mean I normally base a [ML]TL's layout on what the seated ear height or whatever location from the floor someone wants, then line length is based on this plus desired driver offset in the line, so to me it definitely impacts practical path-length.

GM

Thanks for all help guys. As with all of my projects; design and build have an overlap :rolleyes:
I already had a plan to shorten the length a little by adding a second bottom and give it an angle to reduce standing waves. Maybe I will fill this lost space with some mass. If I can handle it :(
So my line is 4.0 m and the driver is at 1.0 m.
There will be some filling, but not too much. My amp with lowpass will remove the midrange anyway.
At 125 Watts (which I won't use) the displacement and breathing looks healthy.

Attachments

• TL towersub design 2.0.png
    TL towersub design 2.0.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 259
  • TL towersub Hornresp 2.0.png
    TL towersub Hornresp 2.0.png
    145 KB · Views: 256
i gotta throw a ‘turd in the punchbowl’:p

Not exactly sure if this likely to overexcite the line from the Fb/3 harmonic down? or short circuit wavelengths to that qw length from the start/first driver? :eek:

( i liked your tall cab so much PCSoldat, i have 2 peerless 6.5s to get to the mid 30s. Thought about this in the past, never ‘splayed out drivers so far though)?)..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited: