Options for integrating subwoofers in to my studio monitors without DSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently "downgraded" my studio monitors from Barefoot MM35s to Genelec 1032As. The MM35s are a sealed 3 way speaker with dual opposed 7" woofers, +/- 3dB at 35Hz. The Genelecs are a ported two way design with a 10" woofer. For most they would be great, but after the Barefoots, I miss the low-end.

I've decided on dual 12" sealed subs to match with the Genelecs. The subs I would most like to use (Rythmik L12) does not have a speaker output. It does have an LFE input, which to my understanding bypasses all the subwoofer processing, allowing for external processing. I'll be crossing over around 120Hz to smooth out a big dip related to floor bounce at my listening position .

I found this an option for external crossovers but I don't know if it's a decent piece of kit. Looks like it sells for around $250 USD.

I know there are DSP options, but I'm mildly old fashioned. The Barefoots were the first monitors with DSP crossovers I've used, and something always sounded fake/foreign to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Being DIY around here, I'd be suspect of a commercial product. I know you can get analog line level DIY crossover kits from the store here, as well as on ebay. At least then you know what the individual components are your audio signal is passing through.

I had a DSP and couldnt stand the high pass output, so I just used it for the low - ran the high "full range". Perhaps that could be done with the 120 Hz cross at the speaker level?

Yes, I am not a fan of DSP either. I'm guessing your DSP solution ran your speakers at full range, despite the sub?

I've never built any electrical components DIY, nor do I know enough about the components to understand what is quality and what is not. I'm guessing that something sold in the store here would be of high quality?

The subs I would most like to use (Rythmik L12) does not have a speaker output. It does have an LFE input, which to my understanding bypasses all the subwoofer processing, allowing for external processing.
I found this an option for external crossovers[/URL] but I don't know if it's a decent piece of kit. Looks like it sells for around $250 USD.
Ashley makes decent kit, the unit you linked reminds me of some of their units I owned back in the 1970s.
The variable output level at the crossover frequency is a nice feature, “Linkwitz-Riley”, "Butterworth" or something "in between" ;^).
It has a fixed 20Hz third order high pass filter, which will cut some (likely around 3 or 4 dB) of the Rythmic L12 response down low. Down below 20 Hz, as little as 5 dB reduction sounds only half as loud, so not a trivial problem if you are not using additional parametric or 1/3 octave EQ.

The Rythmic L12 LFE input still includes all low frequency processing, but raises the upper crossover point to 250 Hz, looks like the slope may be first order.

Art

Attachments

• Rythmic L12.png
    Rythmic L12.png
    221 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.