best sub box type for 8" driver in small room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a 8" sub driver that is being repurposed from a Logitech THX system. I have a Polk 100w plate amp I will be using with it. I am setting up a 2.1 system in my office which is 12'x18'. I have some decent custom MTM mains with tang band aluminum full ranges and tweeters.

The question is which box design would give me the best compromise between transient response and good LF extension to 30hz or so.....I have looked at T lines, Labryinth, and horns. Don't want muddy sound with no definition. Primarily for music, with occasional use as a Xbox gaming sound source.

Thanks for any help!

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Depends on driver specs, I mean it could be a driver that can't meet your needs regardless of box loading. In my limited experience repurposing inexpensive consumer woofers, well damped EBS, [ML]TLs are required. If it's a THX certified woofer it may already be close.

What are the various markings on the woofer? Pics may help too if you don't already have all the specs we need, XO point required.

GM

IIRC, Logitech get their subs from Tang Band, so worth looking in that direction. Chances are it has custom T/S, so you'll probably need to measure to get best results.

That said, if it was mine and SPL wasn't a big concern, I'd put it in a sealed box and EQ the result.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.