Subwoofer amp help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all! Need help with connecting Yamaha P3500s power amp to power 2 passive subwoofers? I'm new to this and bought this used yamaha PA to power 2 subwoofers after the plate amps died. I'm not familiar with XLR and jacks input connectors on this amp. Appreciate if someone can explain how to hook up this amp to the avr's sub woofer ouput.TIA.

It will be very useful if you attach photographs of the rear panels of both teams ......
You can basically use a cable with an RCA plug on the AVR (Out LF) end and an XLR plug on the amp end, but I'm guessing, you might need a "Y" lead ......
The speakers will most likely need SpeakOn tabs, and you can use -1 and +1 to connect to the speakers.

No you don't need a Y cable this amp can be set to parallel mode, that sends whatever signal is connected to ChA to ChB internally.

To connect to an AVR to this amp the easiest solution would be a standard RCA sub cable with a 1/4" TS adapter attached to the end at the amp, you could also buy a cable with RCA and 1/4" connectors on it too.

https://www.glsaudio.com/assets/images/32-184-back-1500.jpg

With this cable as long as the AVR can generate enough output signal it will work fine, but these Yamaha amps need a pretty strong signal so you may need a signal booster inline like the ART Cleanbox.

Connecting the speakers should be easy, this amp takes bare wire or bananas on the terminals or Speakon connectors for pro applications.

Hi conanski. Thanks again. According to the specs of the avr,the pre-out is 1.2v. Would that be sufficent?Also,the link of the rca to 1/4" TS mono jack you suggested,is that the correct adaptor for connecting the avr to the power amp? B'cos the input jack on the yamaha power amp is TRS for stereo I believe. Pls advise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi conanski. Thanks again. According to the specs of the avr,the pre-out is 1.2v. Would that be sufficent?
Yes should work.

link of the rca to 1/4" TS mono jack you suggested,is that the correct adaptor for connecting the avr to the power amp? B'cos the input jack on the yamaha power amp is TRS for stereo I believe. Pls advise. Thanks.
No it's balanced TRS or XLR(not the same as stereo) but will also accept unbalanced TS so yes that adapter will work with a standard sub cable.

If You are new to this have fun reading:

RANE Commercial - Knowledge Base

Probably You have to krank the amps in order to get some serious thumps of the subs since consumer RCA levels are ~4 times lower than Pro levels. -10dBu to +4 dB.
Some AVr's have a menu setting in which You can tweak the individual channel volume, and some amps have switches for sensitivity setting. Try and if You don't have enough volume, add an active RCA to XLR converter. I remember seeing a thread were these boxes were modded since they didn't go below 40Hz. It was just a matter of susbtituing two capacitors, but I don't remember if it was the ART.

Hi Maaco. Thanks for the insight.About not having sufficent rca output,my avr pre-out is 1.2v. Is that enough for the Yamaha P3500s? Also,the avr has individual volume levels including the subwoofer pre-out,which I was told to set to the highest setting.Would that help?

Last edited:
I think it will be enough, leave him in an intermediate position and from there he tests how he behaves better. Also take into account the output impedance of the speakers, if they are 4 ohms you will have more power. (You can configure in dual mono or stereo, and you can still go to mono bridge! ).... if the speakers are prepared to support that power, of course. What speakers will you use?

About not having sufficent rca output,my avr pre-out is 1.2v. Is that enough for the Yamaha P3500s? Also,the avr has individual volume levels including the subwoofer pre-out,which I was told to set to the highest setting.Would that help?
1.2Vrms are almost +4dBu, this should be enough to drive the Yamaha. Probably the Denon has the ability to go higher with positive gain setting, but that has to be tried out. You just need an adapter from RCA to 1/4" Jack, which is available in every guitar shop for 1$.
Do not fiddle around with XLR when you do not have a balanced signal, there will not be better results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.