A tale of 12" subwoofers, distortion and 15 dollars.

Attached is the group delay of the ported 38hz magnum in bold and the other line is the 20hz tuned passive. To me the higher group delay was audible in the ported version.

Attachments

• groupdelayportedbold.jpg
    groupdelayportedbold.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 338
So, if I followed this for 6 pages, the simple answer is to get busy converting my Dayton Titanic to a BP4.

Attached is the group delay of the ported 38hz magnum in bold and the other line is the 20hz tuned passive. To me the higher group delay was audible in the ported version.

so the bottom end was all <sluggish> or phase funk, something wierd, ?

or was it just excessive and overbearing to the other speakers and sounds? as if it had crept up with more gain(not bad sound, just much of it maybe?)somehow?

I wish I could have thought of that, very Well described! have you ever heard the opposite? Or what sounds like it maybe? tapped horn might be it, but don’t assume so because I don’t think it’s nit in other places too!!! A straight TL is a lot of things a bass reflex isn’t .. and a straight TL has a sound too. I’m
Not suggesting anything, but I am stating there is something to investigate as a group of people who have heard a variety of sounds and speakers.

I think i might be confusing , but I confuse myself too, lol!

Destructive or constructive interference are doppelgangers? But they have two types of twins. Identical or not. out past the obvious is the other and it’s gonna be a strange sound instead of flat out null or void... this is my best effort at abbreviating what I can’t technically say or could really if I tried?

Attachments

• 8D9434BE-B964-4AED-AE96-507C4F0EF36B.jpg
    8D9434BE-B964-4AED-AE96-507C4F0EF36B.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Bp1, that’s a good price. I haven’t ventured in car audio subs much. I’d have to put it in to hornresp but do you think the inductance is too high? I checked the other day to see if jbl still makes the gti. That seemed like a good design but I don’t think it’s in production anymore.

Bp1, that’s a good price. I haven’t ventured in car audio subs much. I’d have to put it in to hornresp but do you think the inductance is too high? I checked the other day to see if jbl still makes the gti. That seemed like a good design but I don’t think it’s in production anymore.

See the 4, 2, and single driver Devastators on avsforum.com. 2 subs arrived this morning. The wife is picking up the other 4 subs tomorrow. I modeled a 6 driver isobaric 194L BP6 last night for a 2001 Volvo S60....39" W x 17" H x 23.25" D tuned to 35hz.

See the 4, 2, and single driver Devastators on avsforum.com. 2 subs arrived this morning. The wife is picking up the other 4 subs tomorrow. I modeled a 6 driver isobaric 194L BP6 last night for a 2001 Volvo S60....39" W x 17" H x 23.25" D tuned to 35hz.

What do you guys measure on these for TS parameters? I see a few at my local Best Buy online inventory I think...

Good lord, where’s the hardcover version for purchase? This is excellent!!!

No hardcover TTBOMK; NACA [now NASA] had then recently made it available to 'those in the know' and at the time I worked for National Champ drag racer 'Sneaky Pete' Robinson's brother and having then recently bought a Devin body kit from Pete he decided not to use, put me 'in the know'. ;)

GM

Best buy got the JBL GX1200 on sale for $29.99.

Super cheap! Some neighbors got them on sale last year for 2x that! Anyway, did a BP4 for a Toyota Camry with a bit undersized vent to get the length tolerable. With an 80 Hz XO it does OK to me, but the youngsters and their parents were suitably impressed, so YMMV, especially since at a glance it didn't look like they followed the tiny net volumes too closely.

GM

Attachments

• JBLCX1200BP4.txt
    1 KB · Views: 56