Lab12c + 4" Precision Port - optimum cabinet volume?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My goal is to hit 105 dB @ 30 Hz/1m, before reaching Xmax. This will be for a 3 way studio monitor, crossed over @ ~200 Hz to a Beyma 8CX300Fe coaxial. I will use the Eminence Lab12c as it is (luckily) available here in India at a price that makes sense. I want to use a 4" Precision port kit because of it's off the shelf availability. I would like to limit box width and depth to 19" and 17" respectively, height can be anything up to 36". Response below 30 Hz can be compromised. It will be driven by a Hypex FA253 if 250W is enough to accomplish what I have in mind. If not I will opt for the 500W version.

With these things in mind and my half baked knowledge of the stuff, I have been chasing my tail with WinISD and other tools... flummoxed with finding a solution with optimum Qtc, port length, port resonance, group delay etc., and I realize that there is too much I do not know...

I'm hoping it is a simple thing for you experienced people to chime in with an optimum cabinet volume and port length and equalization settings (the Hypex has 15 "biquads" available), given the above design goals.

Please be kind and let this noob climb on to your collective massive shoulders.

bhFkY7oH1Dw3y9ZU1rEogBzBYSyzlM-taWxbjgOxBBWtYG8_EBwusvnsD5P6dvahLedEg6ev61H0IqeoC5d9_B5TTDMVGRdXIRTJV9ymPENgZGnyJWOE5ej1kC9OuJt0qbhaByVCwA=w2400

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Based on a BR optimized for widest bandwidth with best transient response [~91.53 L* tuned to Fs], Hornresp 'says' you can do this even with the driver suspended up in the air with ~100 W, 450W to 20 Hz, so sitting on the floor, reduce power by ~4x [6 dB]. The downside is a 4" vent, even flared, can only handle the 30 Hz low power in 2pi [half] space, so will need to be in 1pi [1/4] space [hard up against a wall/floor junction]. :(

Another problem is the vent is much too small to handle a lot of power without 'chuffing' and small enough that anywhere near the driver's ratings might even 'choke up', so may need to damp it or even plug it up at some point.

GM

edit: * based on published specs; ideally it would be measured/1.44.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.