Extra Long Binding Posts for Scan Speak 32W/4878T box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scan-Speak Revelator 32W/4878T, 2 ea. sealed enclosures

I am building a pair of Scan-Speak 32W/4878T’s in 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure’s and with the rear wall made out of a Baltic Birch/MDF laminate and finished with ¼ inch red oak, I would need binding posts with a shaft at least 2 inches long, 2 ½ or longer would be even better.

Does such a thing exist? North Creek Music used to sell “Big Posts”, or a name close to that but George Short has closed shop many years ago.

I assume I will need to use SpeakON Chassis mount connectors which isn’t a problem, I would just prefer standard binding posts; would make it easier to move subs around without having to wire SpeakON ends on the speaker wire every time I move them, especially with all the in-wall speaker cable already in place.

Thanks.

The first enclosure is glued and getting cleaned up before I finish the sides, top and bottom in 1/4 in. x 6 in. Red Oak boards and a front fascia made out of 1 in. x 4 in. Red Oak boards.The inside is covered in sawdust for now.

Attachments

• Scan_Speak_32W_4878T_glued1.jpg
    Scan_Speak_32W_4878T_glued1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I am realizing I'll need to use SpeakON connectors. For some reason the last time I installed them I used 4 pole and just wired one pair. I don't remember if that was all that available or not, it has been awhile. I assume 2 pole would be easier and work fine? Seems obvious.

Just need to make sure the speaker wire connections are inside , in the middle, of the connector.

I used them on an 18" LMS 5400 and a pair of 15" LMS-R's I use in my home theater.

Attachments

• LMS_R_15_7890_72pi.jpg
    LMS_R_15_7890_72pi.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 237
Another question; any experience or thoughts on a QSC PLD4.2 as an amp to dive these? I have a lightly used one I can pick up but I am building a quality 2-channel system and want to be sure the amp is up to snuff with the rest of the system.

I would want to disable any DSP and could bridge but not sure I need to.

PLD4.2 Power Amplifier with DSP - QSC

https://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/32w-4878t00.pdf

Thank you.

Why would you want to disable the DSP? It's good stuff IIRC.
Lots of professionals are happy with the QSC PLD line, and I can't see you having any issues with it.

Chris

PS - Use SpeakOns for everything. 4-pole connectors on the speakers - always. That way, a 2-pole or 4-pole cable can connect.

Last edited:
Why would you want to disable the DSP? It's good stuff IIRC.
Lots of professionals are happy with the QSC PLD line, and I can't see you having any issues with it.

Chris

PS - Use SpeakOns for everything. 4-pole connectors on the speakers - always. That way, a 2-pole or 4-pole cable can connect.

I am using an Anthem STR Preamp to handle crossovers and room correction.

Good point on 4-pole, which is what I have used before, still I only use 2, make my own cable terminations and install the connectors and only use/have 2-pair speaker cable.

Thanks

Last edited:
I picked up the QSC PLD4.2 today. Has less than 9 minutes on the clock if you can trust that. It does look new except a couple light scratches when it was put in a rack. It was just never run.

Need to decide if I want to bridge it or not, QSC recommends Parallel.

Glued the 1/4 in x 6 in oak board on the back of the enclosure and will do a side a day.

Attachments

• QSC_PLD4_2_Amp_Back_Cab.jpg
    QSC_PLD4_2_Amp_Back_Cab.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
@chris661

It is a 4 channel amp and I have a pair of subs. All 4 channels at 4 ohms it has 400 w continuous and 700 w peak. Probably plenty for the 32W's.

Bridged Parallel at 4 ohms it would provide 800 w continuous to each 32W and 950 W peak. There is also a BTL bridge option but QSC recommended parallel if I bridge at all.

Thanks.

Hadn't realised you were building a pair of the subs.

Just a quick FWIW that bridging generally means putting the channels in series (BTL) where putting them in parallel means increased current capacity.

I'd parallel the channels down for the extra current, but again, it'd be a psychological thing - the QSC amp will have ample power either way.

Chris

Glued the last side, the top, yesterday, have the fascia routed and ready to glue as soon as my wife comes home and takes me off puppy duty. I'll need to flush trim the fascia, a bit more difficult then the 1/4 inch sides, might trim a little more off before I glue. I plan on 1/4 inch rounded sides and 3/4" rounded fascia unless I can make a 1 inch work. Next comes final sanding to get ready for stain and final finish.

My wife changed the stain choice in order to match her hardwood floors. I am now using Dura Seal Jacobean, almost as dark as ebony.

Also ordered material to start the second enclosure. I still need to find a source to get some true 1 inched milled red oak boards to match the fascia I am using on the first enclosure.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fascia_32W1.jpg
    Fascia_32W1.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Fascia_32W2.jpg
    Fascia_32W2.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Fascia_32W3.jpg
    Fascia_32W3.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Fascia_32W4.jpg
    Fascia_32W4.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 57
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.