Dayton Audio DC200-8 vs HiVi M8N for basic closed box sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I need to build a "subwoofer" for a Pioneer AVR; the AVR has a built-in crossover and a high pass filter, so I'm aiming for 45 to 200 Hz as determined by these.

I like closed box sound and don't want to build too big; 25 liters is fine.

I am down to a choice of two drivers: Dayton Audio DC200-8 and HiVi M8N. They cost similar money where I am.

A WinISD simulation gives slightly better bass in a 25 L box for the M8N, but this depends on speakers fitting the advertised parameters; and some reviews say the M8N only really fits them after long burn-in. I play music very quietly most of the time, so I am not sure my usage would provide effective burn-in.

So which one should I pick, after all?

Both drivers you listed are just woofers, not subwoofers. Their Xmax is only 4-5mm.

I would get a dedicated subwoofer driver for max output.

Have you looked at Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" - similar to your first choice but subwoofer type driver. Xmax is 8.8mm.

I have one Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" in 12"x12"x12" box and it sounds really clean with great output for it's size.

Besides that I used it in a multiple-driver subwoofer assembly too: In-floor subwoofer s- 8x8" drivers each, highest WAF factor

Thanks Will! I have taken a look at the DCS205-4, but the simulator says I'm not getting any bass in a sealed box. It would certainly be very powerful in a vented box, I'd get excellent bass, but I don't exactly want a vented box.

And this is not a true subwoofer anyway. The av receiver has a high pass filter at 40 Hz, so deep bass is simply not happening. And the room is small. So the XMax is no a great concern, though I d note the HiVi M8N has a somewhat larger value.

In both cases I'm using the driver in sealed boxes.

What I'm getting is good output with low distortion - really good for music.

The single driver was just my spare extra driver I purchased for the (16) driver subwoofer installation. At the end I decided to put it in a box and have it as a portable sub for small parties. The sound is really good - clean and deep.

As a side note: Since it's a sealed box it's nice to use some EQ to bring the lower end up if you want. I was powering the single sub with Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier (EQ correction) - It used less than 10% of the power though.

My in-floor subs are running flat (no EQ) and still sound great. They are in 5 liter/ea and powered with no more than 40W/ea.

Hope that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.