Passive radiators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, excuse my ignorance but I'd appriciate your help. I'm looking to built a sub using a 15" driver I have, but I also have a pair of 8" PR's sitting around. The question is... given that the surface area of the driver is almost the same as 2x 8" PR's could I built the cabinet to make use of the PR's?

As a general rule, the passive radiator(s) should have at least double the displacement of air (Vd) as the active woofer(s) in the system.
Vd= Xmax times Sd (cone area). Passive radiators may be rated in Xmech rather than Xmax. When a passive radiator reaches it's limits, it will usually make some sort of a bad, loud noise ("whup, whup") unlike ports, which make less audible "chuffing" wind noise.

As you can see in the example below, 2x8" would have about 5 dB less output at 36 Hz than a single 15" with the same excursion.

Attachments

• Excursion.png
    Excursion.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 167
Or one 15" PR with the displacement of two 15":
Dayton Audio's RSS390-PR 15" passive radiator has 60 mm peak to peak displacement, depending on the 15" Kernowdragon has, that may be plenty.

I had a Mackie HRS120 that used a 12" passive radiator with far less excursion potential than the RSS390-PR 15", and it was enough to make the drywall flap between 15-20 Hz ;^).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.