Plate amp and woofer compatability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a plate amp. The amp is from a fairly well known brand but is being sold as a spare for service. The amp is rated at 500W RMS.

I was looking to DIY ported or sealed subwoofer with Scan-Speak 26W/8867T00 driver. 26W/8867T00 is only rated for 80W RMS and 200W max. This may not be the best driver but I want to use it.

I've never build a powered speaker before. I have parts for a kit and will build that first. The 26W/8867T00 will be a first attempt at my own design. I have a couple of questions:
1) Is there a problem with getting any available amp as long as I can be sure its fairly good quality?
2) Will I blow the 26W/8867T00 if I use it as a subwoofer and try and drive it with the plate amp rated at 500W? Could I limit the plate amp power output? The plate amp is really a good deal.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Better to have a more powerful amp than under powered amp that will clip. As long as you are not stupid with the volume control it shouldn't be an issue and besides, your ears will probably give out before the driver.

You may want to look at the 4 ohm version as has a higher SPL and may work better with the amp.

The amp choice depends on if that is genuine 500W but you haven't indicated the brand and model so it's a guess.

Better to have a more powerful amp than under powered amp that will clip. As long as you are not stupid with the volume control it shouldn't be an issue and besides, your ears will probably give out before the driver.

You may want to look at the 4 ohm version as has a higher SPL and may work better with the amp.

The amp choice depends on if that is genuine 500W but you haven't indicated the brand and model so it's a guess.

Its Tannoy Arena TS500 subwoofer amplifier. I was thinking of 4ohm version of the driver but then thought the 8ohm would be more forgiving.

So just keep the volume down? I tend to have subwoofers around a quarter of the dial anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.