Sealed vs Ported (Best Guess)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
70-80Hz? Those 5.1 systems are toys, any half-decent 6.5" should be tuned below 65Hz. Try at 60Hz for a start.

I think it's close enough. I deal in recycled parts. I have a pair of flanged ports kicking around. If I use both Boxnotes puts me at around 65Hz, If I use only one I'm close to 45Hz. I'll try with one port then if I'm not satisfied I'll use the other.

This sub is not the love of my life. I work part-time at a charity shop. When I happen upon an 8" driver - I'll try that. And when I'm done the finished unit will go back to the charity shop.

Attachments

• 0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 110
Based on Small's vented chart [attached], ~15 L is good for ~89 dB eff./~42 Hz, ~92 dB eff./~55 Hz, so will be interesting to know which you prefer ;): Efficiency and sensitivity conversion - loudspeaker percent and dB per watt and meter loudspeaker efficiency versus sensitivity vs speaker sensitivity 1 watt = 2,83 volt box chart - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

GM

The results thus far are unimpressive. Tuned to 45Hz I have a lot of cone movement and very little sub-bass. Don't get me wrong, the bass is good and tight, I can't dispute the quality but there's not very much of it. It's definitely there. My stereo speakers have 5" bass drivers and I can hear if the sub's on or off. I feel Boxnotes may be steering me wrong. I'm going to go with your calculations and add a second port, retuning to 65Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.