Difficulty finding budget Plate Amp in U.K for Active Sub Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive decided to do a small DIY Subwoofer (my first DIY). I have some desktop computer speakers - Edifier R1850DB's - which sound wonderful, but the low-end is lacking. A DIY seems a fun option but all the parts that are being suggested seem to be sourced from parts-express.com (a U.S based company), who do not ship overseas. Amazon will ship, but the cost is steep, which render the budget aspect more or less void. Dayton, for instance, have most of the parts - like budget plate amplifier's - but there are no retailers for them in the U.K. There is one in Germany, but they only stock the higher end stuff.

I've found a Peerless Sub driver from a U.K company, which looks decent, but the trail for a plate amplifier is dead. On the off-chance other UK members have tried their hand at something similar, perhaps you could share alternative places for sourcing things like plate amplifiers, similar to the Dayton Audio SA70 70W - which would be what id get if it was available here..

..thanks

For a budget build there appears to be quite a few chip amp boards on ebay that just need a power supply (old laptop supply?) It depends whether you just want an amp or need crossover slopes / phase controls.

There are also eq boards and crossover type boards available. Hopefully this link will give you a starting point to search. (I've got a couple of boards here to play with but haven't tried them out yet)

Amp board

Im really new to building, so i thought a plate amp with everything included would just be easier and quicker for my purposes - also trying to curb the growing number of hobbies im getting into recently, building speakers could potentially be another one, so trying to keep things simple before the hobby takes me over.

Having said that the Amp board you linked is inexpensive and perhaps worth a shot. Sorry to pick your brains even more, but if I were to be using this driver , to be used for wubwoofer, could i used the amp board you linked, and if so which power supply would i be after?

I will post any successes! Though ive just been told that the driver is not really a subwoofer, more mid/sub. Are there any tried and tested 8 inch subwoofer driver brands (available in the uk) that i should check out? There are quite a few ive found on ebay, but ive no way of knowing whether they are junk or not.

If this your first foray into a self-build and you're on a budget why not go scrapping like I do. From what I can see, based on the comparatively low power your desktop speakers and the lack of bass (60hz bottom) you're not going to want something to shake the entire neighbourhood.

e.g. I've just purchased Gale - Storm 8 for £20 from Ebay. The cabinet's scruffy but the plate amp is in perfect working order. I got a plate amp from a Sony SA-CSD1 for £2.20 + postage. It's only 40w but sounds awesome.

As for the driver, the one you originally picked seems fine. But I generally stay away from the car stuff because they are insensitive and designed to take a battering. You need to put a lot of power in to get anything out - there are exceptions.

damn, wish i'd seen this before. I'm new to DIY'ing so would have no idea where to start. Someone on here sold me a Hypex Plate Amp shipped for £40 .. should be coming soon, and i'm embarased to say i spent £100 on this driver . I was told it was good though. Given that i was prepared to spend £120 on a sub new from amazon or something, at least this build would be potentially better (component-wise).

My plan was to build the speaker into this cabinet i have, but maybe i can go strapping for a case and give it a lick of pain. I even thought maybe Ikea has some cheap storage unit that can be modified.

If this your first foray into a self-build and you're on a budget why not go scrapping like I do. From what I can see, based on the comparatively low power your desktop speakers and the lack of bass (60hz bottom) you're not going to want something to shake the entire neighbourhood.

e.g. I've just purchased Gale - Storm 8 for £20 from Ebay. The cabinet's scruffy but the plate amp is in perfect working order. I got a plate amp from a Sony SA-CSD1 for £2.20 + postage. It's only 40w but sounds awesome.

As for the driver, the one you originally picked seems fine. But I generally stay away from the car stuff because they are insensitive and designed to take a battering. You need to put a lot of power in to get anything out - there are exceptions.

Just have a few extra questions. Which driver did you use/plan to use with your scrapping build?

Also, when you found that Sony plate amp, was it a case of having an ebay alert with 'Subwoofer amp' as the search? I guess i wouldnt know that SA-CSD1 could be taken apart and a one element (the plate amp) could be repurposed. I guess my question is what should i look for in a used unit that would indicate it has an integrated component, such as a Subwoofer plate amp?

Just have a few extra questions. Which driver did you use/plan to use with your scrapping build?

Also, when you found that Sony plate amp, was it a case of having an ebay alert with 'Subwoofer amp' as the search? I guess i wouldnt know that SA-CSD1 could be taken apart and a one element (the plate amp) could be repurposed. I guess my question is what should i look for in a used unit that would indicate it has an integrated component, such as a Subwoofer plate amp?

The 6.5" driver for the Sony cabinet came from a dead Yamaha YST-SW60. On Ebay, I search 'subwoofer' in 'Home Audio and Hi-Fi separates'. List them 'cheapest first' - anything faulty or damaged will be cheap. e.g. My Gale Storm had a damaged cover. I find the cube amps are best. Look at the pictures. Make sure all the electronics are contained in a single unit. e.g. The Yamaha is unsuitable as the volume and crossover controls are on the front.

If you want a project I have a Bose Companion 5 subwoofer without its amp. I have purchased a TPA3116D2 chip amp. I have also ordered a NE5532 low-pass filter. I haven't assembled it yet as other projects are prioritised.

damn, wish i'd seen this before. I'm new to DIY'ing so would have no idea where to start. Someone on here sold me a Hypex Plate Amp shipped for £40 .. should be coming soon, and i'm embarased to say i spent £100 on this driver . I was told it was good though. Given that i was prepared to spend £120 on a sub new from amazon or something, at least this build would be potentially better (component-wise).

My plan was to build the speaker into this cabinet i have, but maybe i can go strapping for a case and give it a lick of pain. I even thought maybe Ikea has some cheap storage unit that can be modified.

You don't need to be embarrassed about that driver purchase it's a very good subwoofer driver for the price.

Buying used/broken subwoofers is hit and miss and unless you're quite knowledgeable about what you're buying you can end up buying duds. The hypex plate amplifier is also going to be very good value for money.

No reason to be embaresed, you will end up with a setup superior to the Edifier 2.1 Systems on Amazon!
You now have to decide what kind of box to fit the pair into.
£30 will buy a large bit of 18mm MDF or a smaller bit of 18mm Ply and a big tube of glue.
Some places such as B&Q or smaller hardware stores will cut the wood to size for you for free or a small charge as an option.
(if you dont have Powertools)

I got B&Q to cut the wood for my experimental Sub boxes

XMFV1xsb.jpg

DrNy4hlb.jpg

Last edited:
Corners are the best place to put a sub for providing the most amount of in room gain. This might be suboptimal when it comes to exciting room modes in your main listening position however.

This is one of the reasons why multiple subs and EQ work so well in giving you even bass.

Put a big, main sub in a corner for maximum gain down low. Then place smaller subs in strategic locations to smooth out the response. Plus EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.