Ciare 18SW Bass Driver use in a BIG Sealed Box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, here's what a pair of sealed 8"s does in-room:

23gwOqJ.png

(SPL not accurate)

You don't need big drivers and boxes to get low into the bass, but you do need those things if you want to go loud.

Chris

Crunching the numbers on WinISD for a ported type, (their recommendation at EBP of 65)....I get a much more extended bottom-end.
Internal volume, 188 Liters
Tuned frequency, Fb, 28.9 hertz
Port, 200mm diameter, 440mm long
-3.06 Db @ 25.95 hertz ....
A much more functional & accurate portrayal of low frequencies...

People up one side & down the other will be saying, a sealed enclosure is superior...trotting out many adjectives, like "tighter"...blah, blah blah, often without documentation to back it up...& likely those differences are beyond our hearing capabilities anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick..........

Well, sealed enclosures are typically producing much tighter overall bass. More damping etc. so better overall control.

Reflex enclosure, helmholtz resonator, takes several cycles before reaching its maximum output. Try to blow to a big bottle to get some idea of it :)

Reflex indeed is more efficient.

Any enclosure designs has some flaws and vice versa but they all can be very good if designed properly for a particular duty.
I have made many sealed, reflex and horn subs.

Last edited:
This is why I am going sealed box with this project, I like and prefer the sound quality produced by them, like you tonskul,us I have made many of the various types with varying degrees of success and performance. in performance terms, most consistent of all have been the sealed box systems I have built.

Reflex enclosure, helmholtz resonator, takes several cycles before reaching its maximum output.

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

There's some phase shift towards the bottom of the frequency range, but if the Hornresp simulations are correct (there's lots of comparisons w/real builds suggesting the simulator is very very good) then a ported box is still a minimum-phase system.

ie, the phase response (and therefore the time-domain performance) is a function of the frequency response and nothing else.

ie(2), a sealed box EQ'd to the same frequency response will have an identical phase response.

Sealed boxes are a useful way of getting very low bass out of small boxes, but the price is a lack of output.

Chris

Yes, in sealed enclosures, maximum output is directly related to cone displacement (well, it is the case with any enclosures).
I mean, no matter if the enclosure is 20 litres or 200 litres, if the cone is moving 10mm peak to peak, output SPL is the same. Ofcourse we need much more power for smaller enclosure to get same cone movement / SPL @ particular frequency.
Thus, even tiny sealed enclosure can be as loud as large one but its just less sensitive and requires lots of power and boost/EQ for flat response. Its up to power handling of the driver.

Now if we make 20l and 200l reflex enclosures, they would sound totally different at the same cone displacement.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.