Bass Help - anyone familiar with these drivers?

- Thanks for helping out the Newbe everyone!

- Hi Octavia , thank you for the Information , when you say " Slot Loaded were you referring to the Ripole or the PPSL? I think you mean the PPSL.....

- Hi freddi - Thank you for doing the 6th order modeling for me, I get about 8.9 cu. ft..... not a huge box....
But I think I would still like to go Ripole or Open Baffle. The Goldwood GW1858 is very interesting. - I was wondering in comparing them to the Eminence Alpha 15A would the Goldwood 18's be as quick as the 15A's? ... the magnet seems small for how big the driver is? or not.... :)
-

Alpha 15A has mms ~59g, a 25oz magnet, 1.5" diameter coil and 41Hz resonance. GW1858 double that mass, a 50oz magnet, 2.5" diameter coil and 30Hz resonance. The Goldwood will rolloff on the low end about a half octave lower than that Eminence. Both have similar Qt. Goldwood specs GW1858 at 2mm xmax - which assume is overhang (?) Alpha 15A is speced at 3.8mm xmax but may be the ~70% BL point (?) I've only used the GW1858 so can't directly compare. It played reasonably nice to ~32Hz in an H-frame baffle. If one had space and money, it could be fun to use two GW1858 per side.

The loading I was referring to is an open baffle rear with the drivers facing one another and pushing together or pulling apart in unison and firing thru a front slot. I'll leave it to others to say if that is best labeled a ripple or pips. It follows the principle Nelson Pass outlined in his article but with larger drivers. In this case two 18" per speaker. The total set up is actually pretty compact considering the rather massive Sd. As said before, if you want to approach the live experience of a double bass, there's no replacement or displacement. The idea isn't for boom or shaking the room other options are better for that. What pleases me most if how convincing this is to give a foundation body that communicated the You are there or They are here kind of experience. Besides all the usual drum and organ test music I find the album "Fairfield Four Standing In The Safety Zone" to amaze with the sense of full bodied deep throated men being real enough in the room that I would walk up and shake there hands. That's my criteria others can choose their own.

Thanks for the input Octavia, That is what I am looking for as well. I am going to try several different set ups along the line I showed earlier - here are a few examples

Attachments

• -    05.jpg
    - 05.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 106
  • RU-5000001.jpg
    RU-5000001.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 94
  • RU-40000201.jpg
    RU-40000201.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 96
  • -   md-6.jpg
    - md-6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 92
  • -   md-1.jpg
    - md-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 2a - Jw's ..jpg
    2a - Jw's ..jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 2b - Jw's ..jpg
    2b - Jw's ..jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 4 - 77.jpg
    4 - 77.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 52
  • ab0de.jpg
    ab0de.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 50
With the high Vas, low Fs and slightly low Qts these make good candidates for true acoustic suspension. A rare find these days. A 150-170ltr box will get 51hz. A 6 db boast at 35hz is reasonable for home use. Corner placement will help too.

A system around these has a good chance of sounding good for most rock, Jazz, blues and pop music.

I run 15s with 450 watts with bass heavy music and rarely move the cones 5-6mm. 4 of these should work for rock concert levels on most music.

With one woofer per channel you could run them to 300hz. With two per channel I'd stay below 200hz. The midbass top box could be pricy.

Last edited: