Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Small Subwoofer for 2.1 Bluetooth System
Small Subwoofer for 2.1 Bluetooth System
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2020, 06:12 PM   #11
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg736 View Post
DPH - thanks for letting me on to that 8". Because of box dimensions for this particular project I don't think they will work, but I might actually look into getting those to replace some blown 8" drivers in existing car subwoofer boxes. At $16 each those look like an absolute steal!
You're welcome! Hopefully they help in general. My gut response was how to get you as much displacement as possible in a small package (as you can then play the games electronically to get the response desired), but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Hornresp is really a great way to go about testing different ideas, as you can balance out cabinet volume vs output. 2x 5.25 vs 6.5 will come down to the drivers in question. Hard to say in general, albeit it's easier to package more motor and surround into a bigger driver. But greater SD and two motors in the 2x 5.25 case makes me bet you can probably get a better compromise there.
Old 27th March 2020, 10:25 PM   #12
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

That TB W5-1138SMF looks like the best candidate. It not expensive, and a 5L (0.3147 ft2) sealed case gives an F3 of 55Hz and an good response in room (F6) to 50Hz when i model it. But it won't be loud as it can only handle 40w (wich gives 95dB max).

Like said before, you need to choose 2 out of this 3 factors: small, low going and loud. All 3 toghether does not exist as it's physical not possible.
Old 28th March 2020, 12:39 AM   #13
nikg736 is offline nikg736
diyAudio Member

Waxx- along the lines that you are thinking, I was pondering a design change and using a 6.5 driver. The Dayton would be about the same price as the TB and probably produce more output, play just as low but have a bigger enclosure (but still within new parameters)

DPH - yeah...tough decision between two 5.25 and a single 6. I tried hornresp before and couldnt quite figure out how to use it properly
Old 28th March 2020, 12:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Surtsey - what if I gain 20lbs instead of my wife? Does that mean lower bass response. If that is the case I can stop feeling so bad about getting older and fatter.
Old 28th March 2020, 12:48 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

In general what makes a woofer well-suited for small enclosure? From what I can see it is a low Vas and low Qts. Yes?
Old 28th March 2020, 02:06 AM   #16
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Would 7 ltrs be small enough? 9.5" cube with the 1138, a pair of the 830880 5.25" PRs, no added mass; yields my Triumph design, and an F3 of 40 Hz.

Later,
Wolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triumphsketch2.jpg (54.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Triumph-Sim.jpg (73.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3203.jpg (62.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 28th March 2020, 02:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Wolf -- I think I was ordering as you were posting. Those look awesome.

I just pulled the trigger and ultimately decided not to decide.
I got two of the 5.25" Peerless and one of the 6.5" Dayton.
I have another small subwoofer project, a sub for my wife's car, so I figure if the Peerless work out well enough for the small 2.1 project then I can use the Dayton for the car sub or vice-versa.

I am actually quite interested in comparing them in some ported boxes. Dayton has a bit more Xmax but a bit less overall cone area than two Peerless. I think for sound the Dayton might play lower, but output on the two Peerless may be a touch more. Overall I believe either would be a good choice for either of the two projects, so it is just a matter of which one is best suited to each application.

Last edited by nikg736; 28th March 2020 at 02:24 AM.

Small Subwoofer for 2.1 Bluetooth SystemHide this!Advertise here!