Woofer Box Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone :wave2::wave2:
This is my first question m asking here.M new here, So sorry if i forget to clk something or mention something or whtever.

I have made a 2.1 audio system using 2- 5inch woofers as mid way speakers and 6inch woofer as woofer. Everything is going good but the woofer enclosure i made isnt producing tht much base, it just producing "punch" type bass not deep bass. The bass is just coming from the woofer not from the vent and covering the vent didnt effect tht much.(See the enclosure design (i) in attachments.

I doesnt like punch bass, i like the "echo" type of bass (or deep base i dont sure wht to call tht type of bass).So i searched a lot and i found that to create a deep base i have to add larger path difference between sound from front side and back side, so i m thinking of a different enclosure (see the ii design).
I didnt create the enclosure yet coz m not sure if it work or not (thts my problem).M thinking to use pvc pipes in "curly fashion" to increase the path difference. So i want to know will this work or have to add something more?? Do i have to fill the downward space with something??Wht should i do now??
Btw in design ii i showed tht the path is like "S" (coz i showed in 2D) but actually its is more likely to "spring shape"(sqaure spring or whtever).

And my woofer box vibrates too much thts why sound get distorted too much, wht should i do to stop it or decrease it, currently m using heavy weight to stop its vibrations.

Again sorry if i forgot something,Now m waiting for the answers :D:):D:)

Attachments

• i design.jpg
    i design.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 219
  • ii design.jpg
    ii design.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 222
Hello Everyone :wave2::wave2:
This is my first question m asking here.M new here, So sorry if i forget to clk something or mention something or whtever.

I have made a 2.1 audio system using 2- 5inch woofers as mid way speakers and 6inch woofer as woofer. Everything is going good but the woofer enclosure i made isnt producing tht much base, it just producing "punch" type bass not deep bass. The bass is just coming from the woofer not from the vent and covering the vent didnt effect tht much.(See the enclosure design (i) in attachments.

I doesnt like punch bass, i like the "echo" type of bass (or deep base i dont sure wht to call tht type of bass).So i searched a lot and i found that to create a deep base i have to add larger path difference between sound from front side and back side, so i m thinking of a different enclosure (see the ii design).
I didnt create the enclosure yet coz m not sure if it work or not (thts my problem).M thinking to use pvc pipes in "curly fashion" to increase the path difference. So i want to know will this work or have to add something more?? Do i have to fill the downward space with something??Wht should i do now??
Btw in design ii i showed tht the path is like "S" (coz i showed in 2D) but actually its is more likely to "spring shape"(sqaure spring or whtever).

And my woofer box vibrates too much thts why sound get distorted too much, wht should i do to stop it or decrease it, currently m using heavy weight to stop its vibrations.

Again sorry if i forgot something,Now m waiting for the answers :D:):D:)

As mentioned in the previous replies ... obtaining the T/S parameters is the first thing you need to do ... at least do your best to figure out where is the Free air resonance of the woofer and the stiffness of the woofer cone ... if the speaker has a big surround roll, large diameter voice coil and stiff suspension then it probably has medium Air Mass compliance(Vas) on the other hand lighter cone woofer will have higher (Vas) and will have higher efficiency than the former. Stiffer cone woofers will tend to have lower Fs. Post a few photos of your woofer here so we can have an idea what parameters to expect at least

At the very least before you start to build an enclosure, get a speaker modeling software first such as WinISD ... that certainly helps alot in Finding the Box tuning frequencies for Sealed, Ported, Bandpass enclosures. As you mentioned before your preference is towards low deep bass, your ports were mentioned 1.5inches which is too small for low bass with a 6incher. You might run into troubles with port noises and output compression of the port which is something to avoid at all cost. Start with something at least 3inch port as a starting point.

For the Vibration issue, the box might have lack sufficient bracing across the large panels or the panels used might be not enough of thickness. Add in some bracing to the large panels to curb these problems. Some Aucostic Damping materials will also help here and make sure the Damping materials dont block the port exits

Post some photos of the box too ... more detail will be easier for us to help up

good luck

As mentioned in the previous replies ... obtaining the T/S parameters is the first thing you need to do ... at least do your best to figure out where is the Free air resonance of the woofer and the stiffness of the woofer cone ... if the speaker has a big surround roll, large diameter voice coil and stiff suspension then it probably has medium Air Mass compliance(Vas) on the other hand lighter cone woofer will have higher (Vas) and will have higher efficiency than the former. Stiffer cone woofers will tend to have lower Fs. Post a few photos of your woofer here so we can have an idea what parameters to expect at least

At the very least before you start to build an enclosure, get a speaker modeling software first such as WinISD ... that certainly helps alot in Finding the Box tuning frequencies for Sealed, Ported, Bandpass enclosures. As you mentioned before your preference is towards low deep bass, your ports were mentioned 1.5inches which is too small for low bass with a 6incher. You might run into troubles with port noises and output compression of the port which is something to avoid at all cost. Start with something at least 3inch port as a starting point.

For the Vibration issue, the box might have lack sufficient bracing across the large panels or the panels used might be not enough of thickness. Add in some bracing to the large panels to curb these problems. Some Aucostic Damping materials will also help here and make sure the Damping materials dont block the port exits

Post some photos of the box too ... more detail will be easier for us to help up

good luck

Here are my speaker pictures, It says it hv 4 ohms Impedance (i checked it too). I tried to find Fs of my speaker but i dint get exact value (around 40 to 45 hz). The cone is surely stiff coz i hv another 5 and 4 inch woofer and their cone are very easy to move but for this woofer its a little bit harder.

Attachments

• New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_1.jpg
    New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 138
  • New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_2.jpg
    New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 136
  • New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_3.jpg
    New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 142
  • New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_4.jpg
    New Doc 2020-03-28 13.32.24_4.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 49
Here are my speaker pictures, It says it hv 4 ohms Impedance (i checked it too). I tried to find Fs of my speaker but i dint get exact value (around 40 to 45 hz). The cone is surely stiff coz i hv another 5 and 4 inch woofer and their cone are very easy to move but for this woofer its a little bit harder.

Ok i need the dimension of the box and also the port length and port diameter ... so i can roughly figure out what is the box tuning and the likely outcome it is ...

If you want to engineer the solution, you can measure it yourself with a laptop or PC with sound in and out and a few resistors. Search for "Arta Software". The free to use version will work for this. The Limp program will do the measurement. Read the manual for Limp, it shows the simple resistor circuit required to make the measurement. You can then load the measured parameters into any free woofer design software, like WinISD and get the box and port sizes for good performance. Or just wing it and build a box and adjust the port length until is sounds good to you.

Ok i need the dimension of the box and also the port length and port diameter ... so i can roughly figure out what is the box tuning and the likely outcome it is ...

Here are my box dimensions in picture. Ok i willl remove those middle plates, i thought they r usefull to increase the bass. Btw i changed my previous vent and i can change them again if necessary(any dimension).:confused: What should i add more??:confused:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 53
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.