Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New plate amp problems
New plate amp problems
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2020, 03:44 PM   #1
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New plate amp problems

A number of years ago I built a subwoofer using the Peerless 12" xls long throw woofer with matching passive radiator. I put a kg-5230 300 watt plate amp in that I bought from Madisound. The subwoofer work wonderfully for many years when a couple of weeks ago the amp gave out. I bought a SPA500 amp from Parts Express with 500 watts and installed it last week end. At 75% gain this amp is just audible. At that kind of gain my old amp would have broken windows. I've got a email into Parts Express about the problem but haven't heard back yet. Changing all the setting does not do much for the volume. Am I doing something wrong or is the amp possibly bad?

Any suggestions on how I can test this amp to see if it's bad or not?

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

"At 75% gain this amp is just audible"

Maybe the issue is with the source. Try using another source to drive the amp.
Old 23rd March 2020, 06:35 PM   #3
zerokelvin99 is offline zerokelvin99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try different source, interconnects, LFE only input, check all rear controls inc. Lowpass
Old 24th March 2020, 04:45 AM   #4
SamAnytime is offline SamAnytime  India
diyAudio Member

From the manual:
1.) Left/Right inputsRCA style jacks that will accept standard line level inputs from a pre-amp level source. They will accept a stereo signal and internally combine it into mono. Both left and right input jacks must be connected to the source in order to drive the amplifier to full output. The use of a “Y” cord is suggested if a mono source is all that is available.
Old 25th March 2020, 01:54 PM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Had a similar issue with a different brand sub amp and the amp was faulty so was returned. Checked it against a low power Class D amp as a sanity check and that provided heaps of volume.

You don't say the source or whether you are using the Stereo or LFE inputs.
Old 25th March 2020, 03:28 PM   #6
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Turns out is seems to be a problem with my Jolida inegrated amp variable outputs. I hooked up to the outputs on my head phone amp and got plenty of volume. Looks like I need to get Jolida amp in for repair.

New plate amp problemsHide this!Advertise here!