Which Subwoofer Amplifier

The Hypex fusion is the best arround that i know, using the Hypex UcD technology. Even better but no plate amp is the NCore NC400 monoblock kit. It's a high power absolute top of the range class D amp kit with all needed for about 575€. But if that is too expensive, the Fusion is what i would take from your list, if you can afford it.

Not that the Monacor is bad, just not on the level of Hypex plate amps. But it's also almost halve the price...

The Hypex fusion is the best arround that i know, using the Hypex UcD technology. Even better but no plate amp is the NCore NC400 monoblock kit. It's a high power absolute top of the range class D amp kit with all needed for about 575€. But if that is too expensive, the Fusion is what i would take from your list, if you can afford it.

The Fusion amps are also based on Ncore technology and actually based on a newer incarnation Ncore than the NC400.

Hypex FusionAmp FA251 Is Best Choice

The Hypex FA251 FusionAmp is the mid force Hypex DSP plate amp, however is more than ground-breaking enough for making little advanced sub woofers. Utilizing this 1 way plate intensifier you can shape the premise of either DIY sub-woofer or a self controlled speaker for the best dynamic speakers for your home/film/studio or little gig.

Hypex FusionAmp FA251

Add to truck

Classification: Plate Amplifiers

Labels: 1 channel plate intensifier, dynamic speaker, dynamic subwoofer, Class-d, advanced plate enhancer, DSP plate intensifier, combination amp, Hypex, Hypex FA251, Hypex Filter Design, N-center, plate amp, plate intensifier

Depiction

The Hypex FA251 FusionAmp is the mid force Hypex DSP plate amp, however is more than ground-breaking enough for making little advanced sub woofers. Utilizing this 1 way plate intensifier you can shape the premise of either DIY sub-woofer or a self controlled speaker for the best dynamic speakers for your home/film/studio or little gig. An advanced information plate amp like this permits you to fabricate a functioning computerized speaker without a preamp. An incredible method to update your speakers to Hypex Ncore enhancer modules and dispose of the boxed intensifier from the sound rack simultaneously.

The FA251 has one amazing 250 Wrms Ncore® Class-d intensifier with full DSP abilities.

Measurements: 280 * 120 x 55 mm

Weight: 725 gram

Details

Associations

Simple adjusted XLR in and through

Simple lopsided RCA input

Significant level info

USB 2.0 arrangement interface

Highlights

15 biquads per enhancer

Three selectable presets for channels

Source choice

Signal distinguish

Auto shutdown

Clasp secure

Warm secure

Channel security

What is remembered for the crate:

The FA251

A printed duplicate of the client control

Speaker association links

Elevated level info connector

Yes I did, and it's a good amp, but it automatically shuts off when not used/at ultra low volumes and does not have EQ built in. There is a fix for the automatic shut off, you need to solder/desolder something but I don't know what it is you need to do.

I ended up wit the Hypex

The Hypex FA501 unit is circa £400

There are some cheap options these days. Does anyone have any experience of either of these?

This is sold on Aliexpress for less than £100 under a different name. The components look good, and the layout looks modern:
Ansecor Subwoofer amplifier board 350W home theater 5.1/7.1 high-power subwoofer amplifier board subwoofer amplifier board, designed for home theater: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The Monacor is probably an older design, but at least it is digital and smps. It is largely the same price as the one above.
IMG Stage Line 32.0790 420W Digital Active Subwoofer Module : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ
There is a more powerful version too.
IMG Stage Line 32.0800 700W Digital Active Subwoofer Module : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

Any tips are gratefully received.
My subwoofer build will be 2x 8" (200mm) 8ohm drivers harvested from Velodyne spl800, run parallel (to give an 4 Ohm load) in a sealed push/push configuration.

Hi tommus
Interesting. I had started to look at the Hypex FA501. It is one way 500W. Is this ok with a 4 Ohm load?
Thanks.

Pretty sure that's fine. I think the issue with bridging is related to the power supply limiting current. When bridged, the FA502 actually outputs more power at 8 ohms (1.2kW at 8ohm vs 1.0hW at 4ohm) But the FA501 has higher power output at 4 ohms.

BTW, I got this info from the spec sheets that can be downloaded from Hypex.nl
Spec sheets for the "mains powered NCore family NCxxxMP" not the Fusion amps themselves.

Last edited:
I'm using the Hypex with a 4 ohm subwoofer. I ran into some problems such as the on/off button stopped working on a few occasions and I had to unplug it to get it working again. Did the trick and has been ok for quite a while now.

Also when I update the software, if I leave the USB cable in for too long while updating it, it goes off, not sure why but I have a guarantee so might return it to them further down the line.