Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rebuilding a driver...
Rebuilding a driver...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2020, 03:38 AM   #11
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Success - the WD-40 soak worked.

To finish the cleanup job, I'll have to remove the leftover cyanoacrylate glue at the base of the cone, but that's less critical and I'll probably just sand it off by hand or with a Dremel or something. That joint is going to be hidden behind the dustcap when I rebuild the driver (if I find a suitable voice coil, of course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200220_003151.jpg (337.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:24 PM   #12
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rebuilding a driver...
Perhaps some research into the brand of this driver is in order?
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The driver is an Infinity 902-5861 10" subwoofer driver that was used in at least two of their commercial home audio subwoofer offerings. A search online brings up quite a few sites that supply replacement foam surrounds for this driver, but not much else.
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:39 PM   #14
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I'm leaving some links of interest for parts and repairs.
DIY Voice Coil with Cone
https://www.audiofriends.nl/speakerfoam/en/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PARTS DIY SPEAKERS.jpg (57.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 24th February 2020, 12:11 AM   #15
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rebuilding a driver...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
The driver is an Infinity 902-5861 10" subwoofer driver that was used in at least two of their commercial home audio subwoofer offerings. A search online brings up quite a few sites that supply replacement foam surrounds for this driver, but not much else.
I thought so. I have Kappa 9s with woofers of similar construction. It'll be tough to round those parts up if at all possible. Unless you find someone involved in their manufacture.
Old 24th February 2020, 09:11 PM   #16
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

DIY Voice Coil with Cone
Old 24th February 2020, 09:18 PM   #17
Michael Bean is offline Michael Bean  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
What an amazing opportunity to wind a VC for motional feedback.

The drive winding is routine. But the feedback winding would be fine wire and much longer - in order to generate a large voltage to feed back.

(Ordinary dual voice coils can't be used because they don't make much voltage unless maybe for 16 Ohms, which I've never seen. Sony had a driver like I described above.)

B.
So don't use a voltage amp, use a current amp to amplify I to V.

Mike
Old 24th February 2020, 11:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
I thought so. I have Kappa 9s with woofers of similar construction. It'll be tough to round those parts up if at all possible. Unless you find someone involved in their manufacture.
Biggest trouble I'm running into at the moment is that the sellers are not publishing enough information about their voice coils.

Things that are typically missing:

1. Weight - this will impact Fs (but this can be counteracted by a stiffer spider). One supplier quoted weight, and it turned out that it's likely shipping weight.

2. Winding density, e.g. turns per cm. This directly impacts BL (being the "L" part in that parameter). I think that If I want to replace a coil without significantly impacting BL, I need to make sure that the winding density of the replacement coil is similar to the original one.

3. External diameter - lots of suppliers quote the internal diameter, not the external one. It would be a shame if a bought a coil that fits over the pole but can't fit into the gap

Example: The original coil for my driver weighs 35g and has about 55x4 turns (manually counted, 4 layer coil) over a winding width of 23mm, which works out to about 95 windings per cm. I found the following coil online that looked like it would be a suitable replacement, but the devil turned out to be in the details: the weight is 43g and winding width is 25.4mm and the number of turns appears to be around 44x4, which works out to be 70 windings per cm, a significant drop from the original. This is enough to shift the driver's Qts from 0.32 to 0.58, assuming that I use a stiffer suspension with the heavier coil to bring Fs back to its original value. Erk... So my search continues... :-)

2" Speaker Voice Coil 2.016" / Speaker Part / 4 Ohm / 4 Layer | eBay
Old 26th February 2020, 12:54 AM   #19
reloader650 is offline reloader650  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had good luck with thelordofbass.com. They have black rubber glue for the surround and dust cap, CA glue for the spider and triple joint, tinsel lead, spiders, voice coils, frames, dust caps, cones, and motors. I reconed a 10Ē subwoofer awhile back and used it in my work truck under heavy use and itís still going strong. I have 4 more to recone just havenít had anytime. You can find pictures of the subwoofer in the car audio system pictures section on this site.

Regards,
Matt
Old 26th February 2020, 03:31 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I do plan to get some of my stuff from there.

As soon as I find a suitable voice coil, which is the biggest challenge that I'm facing now...

Rebuilding a driver...Hide this!Advertise here!