Car subwoofer (2x8" fancy design discussion)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, my friend wants a subwoofer for his Renault 19.
Goal is actually getting most Db per W from those 8" drivers (ripped off from some old USSR speaker with fried tweets and decent mids).

Driver specs (claimed, not measured yet):
Qts = 1 or 0.4 (had 2 sources to verify)
Vas = 45-50L
Fs = 30 Hz
Pm = 50W (100W peak)
Z = 8 Ohm
R = 6.8 Ohm
Sens = 84 or 87Db w/m (not sure as with Qts)
Cone is made of paper, spider iz almost 5-6", surrond is rubber, magnets are rather large for a 8", drivers aint too bad, considered we got them almost free.

Box size - maximum ~120l (yup its big for a car but trunk is big and we arent afraid to put a BIG sub in there :D )

Availailable amplification power is around 60W per channel and ~120W peak.

From the specs I can say - use sealed/4th BP box in 1 case and vented/6th BP in second.
Isobaric box isnt my game in this case coz loosin 3Db is alot with that amp and with rather large box size allowed.

I tired of those vented/sealed/BP boxes coz already built a dozen of those, so I wanna try smthng different, like sticking a TL sub in the car :D (well you have to remeber that video of guy with 6.5 subs making 30hz in a black Golf that stuff put on the roof was jumping) or maybe a horn :D or something otherwise fancy.

Fancy design suggestions needed.
Horn & TL are already considered.
In other words just discuss.

Well maybe ;) but we're on a budget here tho...
Basically I wanna learn smthng new, just suggest what are there drivers are good for except Closed/Vented/BP( learning is onto me :p ).

P.S. I was seriosly considering biulding 1-2 pairs of LABs for some sound reinforcement, but thats couple of years ahead from now... neither I need them that much nor have time and $$$ for them....

P.P.S. Either way I can use those babies in some home system, we have 10" sub driver laying around, so we'll use that sometime too.

Hm at first glance horn looks appealing :scratch: , taking into account that I suppose I can fold it inside ~80-120l box(40-35hz cutoff) (purdy much the same as 3 sectioned BP box +/-), the only problem is that dont know a hell about horns (atleast now, not googling alot) and hornresp proggie is a bit confusing...

Bose cannon ~ is a 1/4 TL ? BTW is one end closed or both are open ? has anyone dissected one ? how it works basically ?

Well I know what a TQW is but what mass loading has to do with it ?

How much SPL per 1W can I hit with those designs appox. (in BP its possible hitting around 89Db/w/m but I dont want to cut on low end that much) ?

:D I'll go the HORNY WAY :smash:

After googling for some time I found plenty of material and from first glance I think I'll try something around isobarically loaded hyperbolic/exp folded horn. Futher investigation of speakers from which the drivers were taken proves (they used ported design) that their Qts should be in .3-.5 range and efficiency would be 87, not 84 Db W/m, this proves that they are rather siutable for horn application as their EBP is in 115-70 range(200+ is preffered ;) ). As for construction I think I'll use MDF frame and horn itself will be formed from polystirol foam using hot wire cutting to make it light and sturdy.

My friend wasnt too cool about biulding a horn after stickin ordinary vented box(10" driver, 100W rms) - he was like - well the car is shaking (epp, that was true), what for I need that fancy horn that is hard to biuld...

SOOO :D I'm taking those 8" for me and biulding some sxy horn subs for me :D

P.S. Moderators correct the topic to "Horn Subwoofer (2x8")"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.