How to build a sub that can go down to 20hz or even 15Hz??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the Frame Diameter

Hi wonderfulaudio,All

You're correct.Without doing a Consistency Check and an educated guestimated calculation of Driver Sd and Xmax from a Ruler Measurement of the Driver Frame Width and the Rubber Surround Diameter) : The given Data could be way off and sculptured to impress any ignorant Layman.

So What is the Frame Diameter?

b:)

Hi audfrknaveen,All

No Help Posted hereinafter/above but my Fingers are crossed(Sd and x max is probably both stretched...) and continuing being back on Topic! Pictures may Help:

b :)

Attachments

• Iwai_12inch-4Ohm_ZR-Plot.JPG
    Iwai_12inch-4Ohm_ZR-Plot.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Iwai_12inch-4Ohm.JPG
    Iwai_12inch-4Ohm.JPG
    834.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 2x Iwai_12inch-4Ohm_xmax=12mm_T-TQWT.JPG
    2x Iwai_12inch-4Ohm_xmax=12mm_T-TQWT.JPG
    901.9 KB · Views: 393
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
Audfrknaveen,

1.Have you tried open baffle yet? If you have a capable amplifier (a proper PA amp with at least 200-300 watts per channel) and parametric eq, it would be viable to at least try. I have recently got a pair of very generic 12" woofers, in my 14 square meter room i get very satisfying, precise and tactile bass - to put this statement into perspective, consider that i am a bass addict, and i enjoy being pounded by 8 or more 18" woofers at events.....
Of course the experience with my open baffle woofers does not come close to that, but when the woofers have a good excursion workout, i get a good feeling of impacteasily down to 30 hz. Even below that I am still getting something..... i have test tracks that go down to 19 hz.

2. R-J (robbins joseph) enclosure RJ8
This enclosure type is supposed to reduce turbulence and distortion of woofers driven below tuning.

3. Nozzle port /tuyere acoustique. There are some french research papers that show a similar effect as the r-j enclosure claims to have, but backed up with thorough measurement data.

Hard to find a driver with matching specs, but a Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 comes close although it has double power.
In WinISD it is tunable to F3=17 Hz in a 0,23 m^3 box and a 200 cm^2 port with 783 mm length. 107 dB@200W. No too flat, but will work. At 15 Hz still 104dB.
Will this driver work w/little danger of blowing? Three of these in separate closures will share a 20X20 space* w/a10’ ceiling.
*cut off from the rest of the house

RSS315hf-8 ohm model, sealed*; a little EQ for target F3 of 20hz, low-passed @ ~40hz**, slope to be determined.
*recommend size?
** yes - severely band limited

PE’s preferred Boxpro(?) projects an F3 40hz, no EQ. WinISD models differently.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Tony

If this is for music, only the last peddle on an organ goes down to 16hz and that is more felt than heard. If you are getting 28hz F3 than you are covering 99.999% of the music spectrum. Below 28hz I'd look at shakers.
75% home theater though prefer sealed for music & accuracy’s sake (it’s complicated)

Recommended closure size? Ultimately my LR will each have their own, a third handling LFE. Each surround* has a dedicated sub** good to 27hz** before room gain.
*7.X system
**meets specs

Perhaps extreme, my illness. Thanks for your patience & help. Tony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.