Subwoofer for DIY speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm very interested in starting a new 4-way build with active crossover, preety much everything is decided, I'd like to use Emminence Kappalite 3015 between 150-500hz and I'm having such a hard time finding a 150hz to very low end woofer (16 or less hz [I know it's not audible, but it's important for special effects]).

Use is going to be mixed between music and movies.
No budget, except for crazily expensive stuff (more than $8000/pair)

Um18 is a good choice, but I would probably shoot for a lower cover point than 150. Also the sensitivity difference between that and pro style drivers will be significant. You could try to use something like the lavoce 21" but that's getting into the ridiculous tier of &800/pr. The Dayton pa 18"er in a big ported box with the right eq can get down to 20hz or so but I'd question with how much authority given its excursion limitations

Wow, a 4-way and a 15" not to be the biggest.
What about a Dayton Audio UM18-22. Looks stable far beyond the 150 Hz.

Yes, i've thought about it a lot, it was my main option before coming here, haha. :rolleyes: Great specs and an awesome price.

Um18 is a good choice, but I would probably shoot for a lower cover point than 150. Also the sensitivity difference between that and pro style drivers will be significant. You could try to use something like the lavoce 21" but that's getting into the ridiculous tier of &800/pr. The Dayton pa 18"er in a big ported box with the right eq can get down to 20hz or so but I'd question with how much authority given its excursion limitations

First time seeing that Lavoce. SAF2140.50 got a great sensibility, but maybe a way too low xmax.

Any thoughts on FaitalPRO 18XL1800? The page you were looking for doesn't exist (404) - not the cheapest, ~1400$/pair. Also, great sensibility and a very decent xmax (aprox 20)

WinISD gave some awesome results: Screenshot by Lightshot

Hello,

I'm very interested in starting a new 4-way build with active crossover, preety much everything is decided, I'd like to use Emminence Kappalite 3015 between 150-500hz and I'm having such a hard time finding a 150hz to very low end woofer (16 or less hz [I know it's not audible, but it's important for special effects]).

Use is going to be mixed between music and movies.
No budget, except for crazily expensive stuff (more than $8000/pair)

Unless you are only going to make a few watts available for the 3015 you are going to struggle to find a sub that can keep up. Four 18" drivers per side in an infinite baffle could match the output of the 3015.

Unless you are only going to make a few watts available for the 3015 you are going to struggle to find a sub that can keep up. Four 18" drivers per side in an infinite baffle could match the output of the 3015.

I am probably going to use something like Accuphase DF 55 for crossovering, so I can just correct spl manually (attenuator -40db to +12db). Providing (only) a few watts wouldn't be an issue either.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Definitely not...
2000 watts vs 1800 watts
97 dB vs 95 dB
28 Hz vs 29 Hz (the lower the better)
118mm vs 100mm

Am i missing someting? The only aspect 18XL1800 outperforms 2000 is xmax.
I do not care what you choose, they are both overkill. The final result depends only on your skills. Even the best drivers can not guarantee good results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.