ScanSpeak 23W/4557T Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I am looking at building a small 2.1 system.

Would anyone ever consider using a ScanSpeak 23W/4557T sub in a vented box? As much as it would suit a sealed enclosure nicely, I'm concerned about the higher roll-off compared to how it is predicted to perform in a vented box, unless room gain would take care of this?

Vented will give a very peaky one note bass with this high qts of 0.47, sealed it models with an F3 of 32Hz and an F10 (more important for sealed) of 18Hz wich is already very low, lower than most if not all music need.

So i would not do it vented for this speaker, this is a driver for sealed enclosures. Vented it models best (but still peaky on the bass) with a 40L cabinet, sealed is best in a 38L cabinet. So on size it won't make a big difference. on the attached printscreen of WinISD, the vented is the green line, sealed is the blue line.

And in both alingments, xmax is what limits your bass, both alignments go in overexcursion at 100w, so above that power the response will get a higher f3 and f10. So if you want a very loud bass, this driver is not fit.

Attachments

• 23w4557t00.PNG
    23w4557t00.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 239
Vented will give a very peaky one note bass with this high qts of 0.47, sealed it models with an F3 of 32Hz and an F10 (more important for sealed) of 18Hz wich is already very low, lower than most if not all music need.

Thanks for the details :)

I think a 10" passive radiator design is going to be more suitable for my needs.

That's the first time I've heard about F10 being more important a figure for sealed enclosures. Do you have any links/google keywords I can use to find info on this?

I don't know this driver, but as I look at the frequency response, the range below 100 Hz looks a little bumpy. A Dayton Audio RSS265HF-8 for example looks much better.

I am considering this passive radiator build to focus my attention on designing the satellites.

I'm attracted to the idea of a SS-only build this time around but open to being swayed if the Dayton drivers if sufficient reason is given - my previous two builds were MLTLs but size is a bit more critical now.

Clearly I need to read up on the effects of room gain amongst other things. Fortunately the room this sub will be filling is not very large (~220sqft?).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.