Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?
Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2019, 10:33 AM   #21
mart34 is offline mart34  England
diyAudio Member

Damping in bass reflex subs is clearly preferred by some of the best sub manufacturers in the world.

First image - SVS PB13 Ultra, with lots of Polyester Fibre sheet (BAF Wadding)

Second image - RBH 1212, with Polyster Fibre sheet (BAF Wadding) and open cell foam near the port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dca4008440593b0a0750c7a134b7e646.jpg (62.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpeg.jpg (68.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 28th November 2019, 12:59 PM   #22
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

They obviously use stuffing to minimize port resonances from reflecting back to the tube.
Old 28th November 2019, 03:16 PM   #23
mart34 is offline mart34  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
They obviously use stuffing to minimize port resonances from reflecting back to the tube.
Agreed. I know this wasnt really the subject of the thread starters original post, but damping IMO clearly should be used. I have a build thread with my sub, and I haven't applied any damping so far. My original thinking was, I'd made no compromise in the enclosure size, so didn't need it. But having used it now for two months, I am struggling with upper bass and lower midrange bleeding through the drivers. Theres no box resonance, due to thickness and bracing, but there are definitely reflections. Another issue I've noticed very recently, is that although I dont have port noise/chuffing, the box seems to howl at low frequencies <20Hz), sounds like the sound of the air moving through the box/port. I believe I'll significantly reduce this with lining of the walls.

Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?Hide this!Advertise here!