Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?
Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 06:56 AM   #11
wonderfulaudio is offline wonderfulaudio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audfrknaveen View Post
Infact, the only reason looking for damping material is because my simulation graph shows 3db peak near rolloff.
The room dominates the sub's response. Dips of ~15 db are common. 3dB will get lost, in fact Earl has often said that free field response of sub has very little meaning in room.
Old 15th November 2019, 02:07 AM   #12
snappyturtle is offline snappyturtle  United States
diyAudio Member

dB v2
Old 15th November 2019, 02:38 AM   #13
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyturtle View Post
Again, Data-bass has the data. As I said in post #5, adding fluff reduces the bad sound although trivially lowering the loudness. Might confuse your sim; who cares? Seems a no-brainer.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 15th November 2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 15th November 2019, 04:06 PM   #14
djn is online now djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I am just now starting a new project using 10" full range field coil drivers and posted a question about Plywood vs MDF. I got a LOT of great responses but the one thing someone posted was this video about damping cabinets. It is an engineering approach and it the end he tested Decidamp to deaden cabs. I'll be using it on this build as test results show it kills vibration really well in a CLD configuration.

The damping discussion starts around 27 minutes into the video

YouTube

Viscoelastic Damper Paint, Industrial Damper | Pyrotek

Last edited by djn; 15th November 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 15th November 2019, 04:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ooops, maybe I misunderstood the OPs intent. I thought he was asking about damping the cabinets vs. the signal.
Old 15th November 2019, 04:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Ooops, maybe I misunderstood the OPs intent. I thought he was asking about damping the cabinets vs. the signal.
Volume damping not walls, at least as per post #1.

But the viscoelastic link you posted in your signature deserves to be more widely known on this forum. Great stuff, although generally used on thin metal sheets, not speaker walls. Variants available from automobile specialty stores made from latex paint stuffed with cork bits.

B.
Old 15th November 2019, 05:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I like the decidamp because it is also a glue that does not need a ton of pressure to set and is MORE effective with a thinner layer. On my project I am building the speaker cabs with plywood and then gluing on plywood panels to the inside walls so I don't have to cut glued up plywood with the sticky stuff already applied......that messes with the table saw blade.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #18
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Some tests and measurements dB v2

Click the image to open in full size.

I put some old pillows inside my 270liter closed box subs, but none in 30liter BR or closed boxes. One pillow on the dead end of a 50 liter 80cm long tube box which is the woofer in 3-way, crossed LR2 300Hz. All just out of intuition, I didn't make comparative measurements.

Last edited by Juhazi; 16th November 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 16th November 2019, 01:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

What are those two curves (AKA the good one and the bad one)? I can't make sense of your text.

B.
Old 16th November 2019, 05:13 PM   #20
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Clik the link, it comes from there (the pale blue text "dB v2")
That page was linked to earlier by snappyturtle in post #12 Dark purple line is with lining/stuffing, the green one without.

Then I tell about my personal experience, without response graphs.

Damping material is useful only in sealed subs? Or will it work in ported subs also?Hide this!Advertise here!