Corner loaded PPSL Plenum ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any reason this sort of Plenum (enclosed by 2 sides rather than. 3) would not work ?

Would it be superior / inferior to a conventional plenum ?

Sorry for the impromptu screen grab pic

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_103534.jpg
    IMG_20191112_103534.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 231
1)Is there any reason this sort of Plenum (enclosed by 2 sides rather than. 3) would not work ?
2)Would it be superior / inferior to a conventional plenum ?
1) No.
2) The resonance frequency and gain associated with the 2 sided plenum would be different from a 3 sided plenum, whether deemed superior or inferior would depend on your desired outcome.
The stiffness of the enclosure as shown would be less in the 2 sided compared to a 3 sided, generally "inferior".
The tendency to place objects on top of horizontal surfaces would generally result in the 2 sided plenum eventually becoming three sided, so I'd be inclined to design for that inevitability, and also avoid the problem of unwanted items falling/spilling into the vibrating hole by building 3 sided from the start.

1) No.
2) The resonance frequency and gain associated with the 2 sided plenum would be different from a 3 sided plenum, whether deemed superior or inferior would depend on your desired outcome.
The stiffness of the enclosure as shown would be less in the 2 sided compared to a 3 sided, generally "inferior".
The tendency to place objects on top of horizontal surfaces would generally result in the 2 sided plenum eventually becoming three sided, so I'd be inclined to design for that inevitability, and also avoid the problem of unwanted items falling/spilling into the vibrating hole by building 3 sided from the start.

The desired position would be vertical (had to take a photo of the screen since I'm at work - and which resulted in an image rotated to landscape rather than portrait mode).

Good catch re. stiffness. I guess a brace at the front of the plenum could partly address that issue.

Here's what I'm thinking (since I have all the parts lying around:

A compact vertical PPSL featuring
  • PPSL / passive radiator
  • about 3 cuft +/- a bit total internal volume
  • application: music - home theater / music
  • vertical orientation to minimize floor space
  • horizontal drivers (2 x dayton RSS265HF) connected in parallel @ 2 ohm
  • driven by an INuke DSP
  • a horizontal plenum
  • 4 12" passive radiators , 2 per driver, along the front walls of the cab
  • Passive radiator cutouts serve double duty to access and install drivers

Last edited:
I like your idea :) So much so I've been working on a similar build :D

But mine is designed to be modular, where I can use subs singularly, then stack them for push-push, and put them in corner if additional plenum effect and corner loading is desired.

First coupler try may be a little short, since I'm trying to run both direct radiator and ports through the slot.
They sound great stacked, but I'm not getting a full +6dB coupling like I get when they are side by side.
Getting there...

I say go for it...make it where you can either rotate drivers or turn whole box upside down if you are concerned with cone sag.

Attachments

• pair split.jpg
    pair split.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 185
  • stacked 2.jpg
    stacked 2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 177
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.