Which Dayton Audio 12" Subwoofer (HO-4 or HF-4) in old REL Q100E enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm going to upgrade my old REL Q100E!

Its been used for movies and will continue to be used for movies.

REL%20Q100.png

Enclosure: 50 litre (1.7 ft.³), sealed box, Dimensions: 400 x 415 x 400mm

I've got a 300W Class D Monacor SAM-300D/Yung SD300-6 plate amp I'm going to install.

I'm wondering whether I should put in a...

Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12"
or
Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12"

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Dayton make great drivers, so one of them would definitely be great, subject to modelling in your enclosure size.

For info - BK elec do a 12 inch driver AD12-300 which would be 60% cheaper than the Daytons. The AD12-300 has been used by REL for a long time in their subs, including models available nowadays (R305 I think).

For your application, considering cabinet and amp, the HF would be a plug&play solution.
Be prepared to experience a very different sound to the original sub, minimum 2 times better in class. Maybe brace the box from the inside, as pressure will be much higher. Bracing makes sub´s sound fast and dry.

The HO woofer is a very special breed, because of it´s heavy cone you would need a much stronger amp than the SA-300D, which is a very good choice for a plate amp.

The HF + SAM 300D + 40-50 liters internal volume will make an excellent sub.

If you have wood building skills, you could construct a vent under the cabinet (so you do not loose volume) and tune it even lower, but I think you will be more than satisfied with the closed version.
Be sure to make it air tight when fitting the plate amp, best is an own enclosure for it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice to know about the AD12-300 Mart34, though I already have both a RSS315HF-4 12" and a RSS315HO-4 12".

Turbowatch2 I was also leaning towards a RSS315HF-4 12" considering I will be using a 300W Class D amp and the RSS315HO-4 benefits from more power it seems.

For your application, considering cabinet and amp, the HF would be a plug&play solution.
Be prepared to experience a very different sound to the original sub, minimum 2 times better in class. Maybe brace the box from the inside, as pressure will be much higher. Bracing makes sub´s sound fast and dry.

The HO woofer is a very special breed, because of it´s heavy cone you would need a much stronger amp than the SA-300D, which is a very good choice for a plate amp.

The HF + SAM 300D + 40-50 liters internal volume will make an excellent sub.

If you have wood building skills, you could construct a vent under the cabinet (so you do not loose volume) and tune it even lower, but I think you will be more than satisfied with the closed version.
Be sure to make it air tight when fitting the plate amp, best is an own enclosure for it.

Hi Turbowatch2. Is cone weight the only difference between the HO and HF models?

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice to know about the AD12-300 Mart34, though I already have both a RSS315HF-4 12" and a RSS315HO-4 12".

Turbowatch2 I was also leaning towards a RSS315HF-4 12" considering I will be using a 300W Class D amp and the RSS315HO-4 benefits from more power it seems.

Hi kujina. Did you notice any difference between the HO and HF models? Which one would you recommend and why?

HO has:
- heavier cone
- matching stiffer suspension (resulting in about the same fs)
- stronger motor (BL = 20 Tm instead of 14) due to the 4-layer coil instead of the 2-layer coil
- higher inductance due to the 4-layer coil
- higher power handling
- lower Qts due to the stronger motor
- slightly smaller Xmax

Translated into simple terms this means:
- HO works in a smaller enclosure.
- HF might have an advantage in harmonic distortion because the inductance is lower. To make this conclusion with confidence, Klippel data is required.
Assuming electronic equalization is not used and enclosure size does not matter (say a classic passive three way louspeaker), HF will play deeper because of its higher Qts.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.