Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Port output in hornresp
Port output in hornresp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2019, 01:31 AM   #1
Droco is offline Droco
diyAudio Member

Default Port output in hornresp

When looking at some different horn configurations I came to the realisation that hornresp doesnt lineairly model its port output and velocity.
When keeping internal volume and tuning equal in winISD there is no difference in port velocity or output, which is supported by the mathematics.
In hornresp this is a totally different story. I get drastically different (and not linear) differences in output, velocity AND port length when doubling port area, but keeping tuning equal (by also changing porth length). I also dont see a mathematical trend that explains it.

Anyone who knows what causes this? Do they also implement other factors to calculate the values? Maybe they also include port compression etc?
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:38 AM   #2
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droco View Post
When keeping internal volume and tuning equal in winISD there is no difference in port velocity or output, which is supported by the mathematics.
What mathematics are you using?
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #3
Droco is offline Droco
diyAudio Member

Wow, didnt realize at first I was talking to THE hornresp man

In any case, I got some deeper into the math because you asked me, and I clearly missed a lot of the 'complexities' so I will not be pursuing the math. I don't like math that much, that's why I love software like yours!

So lets aside the math, and just focus on what perplexes me the most.

'I get drastically different (and not linear) differences in output, velocity AND port length when doubling port area, but keeping tuning equal (by also changing porth length). I also dont see a mathematical trend that explains it.'

I dont have the exact numbers anymore, but I dont remember seeing any logical trend. I figure there will be one, and it could just be the actual math that was too complex for me. On the other hand, winISD didnt show this.

Could you explain me some of the factors that determine the output of the ports? And why I would get largely different results although the tuning and box volume stays the same?
I'm in the process of understanding port compressing, chuffing so I would need to know if its somehow already included in HR.

Thanks in any case for your wonderful software!

Port output in hornrespHide this!Advertise here!