shallow subwoofer options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Yes.

Nice driver! Loaded it in Hornresp and 40 L is 'right on the money' IF its published specs are reasonably accurate [no clue, no experience with the brand] and the big Xmax should make it an above average 'sub' if there's some decent room gain. I guess those early numbers were for mobile audio apps.

GM

Last edited:
Yes i want them very much as it will be very suitable for a WAF (wifey only wants slim towers) But a pair of them will be expensive too.I already have SB34NRX75-6 on the left corner but i want to make a stereo one for better and homogenous response in living room.
I also have one Sony XSGSW121D 12" car sub and one B&W 12 inch subwoofer spare which have high qts.
What about different subwoofers with linkwitz transform and spl equalisation?
Or should i sell other subs and buy shallow ones?
And what do you think about SB34NRX75-6 sound quality vs shallow SB ones sound quality?Maybe i can buy one more of SB34NRX75-6 and make stereo tower.(But I can make max 60liters inside volume per box tower)
.Thanks again.Best regards

GM

Joined 2003
Again, no clue beyond its specs, build quality in pictures for this, and most other consumer brands, so based on these I prefer the RX75 since it has a lower Fs, Qts, much higher Vas, efficiency, which normally equates to relatively superior performance overall.

So, what's your set up, opinion of it?

That said, I wouldn't use either for 'subs' > [Fs*8] and [5] octaves for wide range [Fs*2^5], so for you it would depend on if this met your needs or someone with 'hands on' experience says otherwise.

As for the Sony, I ignore any brand that doesn't provide decent, accurate enough specs, so personally would use it for skeet practice if couldn't get my money out of it. A double barrel's worth of 12 ga #4 shot ought to make it 'boom' pretty good one time. ;)

WRT sound quality of regular Vs shallow frames, mine is currently limited to the cheap mobile audio ones my neighbors use, i.e. no sound quality to these old ears, but hope to compare some better quality ones before I become too deaf to notice now that I know they exist.

GM

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Re LRT transforms, 'sub' driver quality; after having experienced what today's incredible DSP can do, I've lately been suggesting using any driver regardless of price that if once EQ'd will met the needs of the app, then forget its other specs and the few that have tried it have been very pleased.

GM

Hi.The problem is only WAF.I also prefer SB34NRX75-6 in bigger boxes but i should make it slim towers.Outside dimensions should not exceed 23cm wide 35cm deep and 104cm high.So i should build sidefiring subs.
And for bracing what is the easiest way to do it?I am thinking to put about 6-8 pieces of 20x20cm square pieces vertically.I am not sure it will be enough.
Thanks and regards

The key information is missing: negotiation with wife as to her interests and further inspection of your music room to see where and how you could locate the cubic inches.

The box can be any shape you want with bulges here and there. In fact, rectangular is the worse shape except maybe for spherical.

Also, you can make a mostly slim box but have the driver poking out. So, that's a nice driver spec you have in mind, but if the driver pokes out in front (or back) you have lots of other choices and still work with a mostly slim box. Again, not clear what wife would accept.

B.

Hi.I already built a cube 100 liters decorative downfiring subwoofer on the left with SB34NRX75-6 and wanted to make same one at right of tv too.But wife did not accept it.We fighted with her about it.Only permits slim towers and dimensions are 25cm wide and 35cm deep and 105cm high max.Does not want wider tower..Finally we talked with her and she told she will only accept slim towers with white color.No other choices.Maybe i can keep the cube subwoofer working and make a dummy left tower and working right tower.But they will have different frequency responses.Or another option is putting different subwoofer into the cube sub and buy another SB34NRX75-6 and make 3 subwoofers.
Thank you and best regards

Attachments

• 20191101_235326 (1).jpg
    20191101_235326 (1).jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 20191102_001507.jpg
    20191102_001507.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I am puzzled: subwoofers don't have lefts and rights although it is clearly better to have two than one.

You can (and should) stick them anywhere in the room where they are beneficial. And while the jury is out on mixing the bass (my opinion reverses from time to time), if the XO freq is low, just doesn't matter where they are located.

So you could put your sub in a closet... if you remember to open the closet door when playing music with low freq content. Or maybe in another room.

B.

Last edited:
Hi.The problem is only WAF.I also prefer SB34NRX75-6 in bigger boxes but i should make it slim towers.Outside dimensions should not exceed 23cm wide 35cm deep and 104cm high.So i should build sidefiring subs.
And for bracing what is the easiest way to do it?I am thinking to put about 6-8 pieces of 20x20cm square pieces vertically.I am not sure it will be enough.
Thanks and regards

Thankfully, I never had any WAF problems with my three, but did have horns, subs in the corners and normally covered with a ceiling height cloth grill that color complemented the wall color. Frankly, when I got on the net's early audio BBs, forums [no pictures or links to some] there was a lot of WAF/SAF/SO being used, which made no sense in the context they were used, so finally asked and was shocked that this was a common issue because it sure wasn't in metro Atlanta.

Wife #2 did take exception to me bringing the cycle inside to prep it for Daytona BikeWeek, using the tub and sink for parts cleaning even though I always cleaned/disinfected them back to pristine.

Apparently the chemical fumes settling in anything absorbent was the issue, so after the weather got warmer it all got a version of pressure washed mixed with some popular airspray scent she poured in when I wasn't looking.

Well, that was March '82 and it still smells from it, only now it's a 'man cave'. :(

Oh well, times change, it is what it is, so for high aspect ratio cabs, most of the pressure is along this length, ergo boards turned on edge in an 'X' frame will tie all [6] sides together, so it can't 'breathe'. If made out very rigid no void 18 mm Baltic Birch plywood or similar, then it will be excellently braced.

Ideally these will be offset at a golden or acoustic ratio to randomize panel resonances a bit and notched out as required to add a bit of driver support/mass loading. Search Dave P10's MLTL drawings, pictorial details for some examples. Note there's no need to add all those holes and need the weight anyway.

GM

Indeed, with today's DSP, WiFi, there's an HT posted somewhere that there's DSL DTS10 subs located in two different rooms, yet measure as one in the seating area! Not in my wildest dreams in early 'adventures' in audio did I conceive of such a system much less live to [potentially] experience it.

Another is line constructing complex shapes, objects, especially relatively cheap/compact enough for the casual DIYer. Would have come in real handy back when I was scratch building scale model car replicas of Ferrari racers and similar.

GM

Hi.Sorry i have sonic obsession (But i am getting normal day by day) and wifey has image obsession (plus cleaning obsession).Even i think am a handsome man and some girls like my face a lot ,she always wants to dress me good even at home sometimes and says it is much better when i am good dressed.And she does not want any other subwoofer anywhere,only slim towers accepted at living room.
My main goals are
1)having homogenous spl at living room because in the middle of carpet and near tv bass is very much and on sofa which i am sitting and listening to music it is very low.(with the 100liters sub box on the corner)
2) I will change crossover frequency of towers and make some experiments.(100Hz and 340Hz.I will make towers upside down at 340Hz) I will use active crossovers with OPA627 opamps I already built.
2PCS mono adjustable 2-way crossover network PCB board+resistor | eBay

I also want to buy minidsp with SB34NRX75-6 but it is going worse here in Turkey customs as same as everything getting worse in this country.They started to charge too many customs fees and i do not like to pay their fees because there is no service i am getting in this country.They also even do not call for items real values from China,fool customs officers randomly put their customs fees.For same 3 item shipped at different times they charged 10-20 and 30usd!
Thank you for your replies.Best regards

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Yeah, I watch the BBC to get a bit better view of world news and don't envy you your general situation though nice to see folk's like you show it's not all the 'gloom & doom' the news imply.

1] Sounds like you're sitting in one the room nulls [even order harmonic, with center of the room the biggest/deepest] instead of one of its peaks [odd order harmonic such as each end] like the stereo apparently is, but guessing SWMBO won't tolerate rearranging the room to improve the audio experience.

Anyway, good luck with it!

GM

Hi.I ordered 1piece of SB34NRX75-6 again (I already have one of them) They said there will be 2 weeks of handling time because they do not have them in stock and they are ordering them.
Intertechnik combines shipping and make free shipping for additional item.My friend also wants 2piece of them.I am not sure i can combine 3 of them.Heavy and quanitity may be problem at customs.
I will make linkwitz transform for them to make a flatter response in 60 liters sealed box(I will also use polyfiber and it will increase volume about 25-30% but bracing also will reduce volume)
Here it gives 1.4f3 and 5.1f3 volumes stuffing effects but does not give for 2 f3. Maybe it is 30%? I want it as max as possible. If only effect would be 300% So i could build 30 liters and it would behave like 120 liters :)
Thank you and best regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.