Got my first Karlson! Europe made K15 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So I measured the impedance. Maybe some of the gurus here could read out some information out of it:)

Attachments

• K15DasBI30Impedance.jpg
    K15DasBI30Impedance.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 275
that looks quite good and not too far off from what John Karlson published in the January 1954 Radio & Television News Karlson speaker article with the 4.5" wide by 9 inch tall port.

That was a cool issue as also had Bob Moog's Theremin article.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-News/50s/Radio-News-1954-01.pdf

Note Karlson warned against directly scaling K15 by 0.8 to get a 12 inch cabinet. In the fall of 1954 the first K12 (aka "Karlsonette") made its debut and the front shelf feature deleted. IMO its ok to scale K15 and its port. That shelf may segregate some highs from the upper front chamber area.

wMdF9PD.jpg

Last edited:
regarding one speaker, you could do like I often do and play one channel at the time - that can be quite dramatic with recordings from the days when things were either centered, or fully panned to left or right :D

or sum via resistors (EDCOR makes a little transformer summing box so there may be similar in your parts)

screenhunter_02-aug-27-19-35.gif

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I moved the K15 to the main room, on top of it there is now the UICW box to try the UICW with a Karlson as the (mid)bass unit. And a variety of K-Tubes to be tried as well, including the ones inside the mid horn. Sadly, no time for measurements or listening.

Attachments

• AC541F80-74DC-42B9-8273-973B49742944.jpeg
    AC541F80-74DC-42B9-8273-973B49742944.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 82
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion - that might help with the narrowing dispersion - and maybe some balance could be found between dispersion and loss of HF. My large 3D printer is idle at the moment, so I could actually try to print one and fit it instead of the round protective grill I have there at the moment. Just scaling up the one I have for 8PE21 and making it round should work for the first test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.