Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Optimal flare for reduced particle velocity
Optimal flare for reduced particle velocity
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2019, 02:43 AM   #1
Droco is offline Droco
diyAudio Member

Default Optimal flare for reduced particle velocity

Is there an optimal optimal flare rate to reduce particle (eg. horn mouth) velocity the most?
Old 21st October 2019, 07:20 PM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Maximizing Performance of Loudspeaker Ports

Too abrupt a change in velocity still leads to losses. Optimally, the flare rate should minimize turbulent eddy formation and early boundary layer separation is what I gather from it. You didn't mention if you were talking about ports or not, but I still figured you could gather information from that paper.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:29 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

My 'knee jerk' response is Dr. Geddes' OS WG, but being designed with the goal of high directivity control, not sure if it would be optimal for a vent.

LspCad's optimal vent was a baffled flare, but don't recall what its flare shape was called. Catenoid, maybe?

GM
Old 21st October 2019, 07:38 PM   #4
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Cubic expansion laws are generally pretty good for nozzles, although a speaker makes a different than normal boundary condition. But you want to know your Reynolds numbers, albeit we want them low. So "low Reynolds number nozzle design" will give you a few NASA/NACA papers for your consumption.

Do you have a CNC to fabricate the nozzle is the better question! Otherwise, probably okay to use the off the shelf ones.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Droco is offline Droco
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Maximizing Performance of Loudspeaker Ports

Too abrupt a change in velocity still leads to losses. Optimally, the flare rate should minimize turbulent eddy formation and early boundary layer separation is what I gather from it. You didn't mention if you were talking about ports or not, but I still figured you could gather information from that paper.
I didnt mention a port, but yes I need the info for ports too! I'm designing a Skram like subwoofer, and I'm looking into all the ways to optimally design the vents AND horn mouth. Thanks for the link!

Optimal flare for reduced particle velocityHide this!Advertise here!