Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommended QTS for infinite baffle Car subs 0.5 to 0.7 or higher than 0.7??
Recommended QTS for infinite baffle Car subs 0.5 to 0.7 or higher than 0.7??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

If one has good "feeding" available, then low Qts might not be an issue at all. For general usage Qt of .5 or .6 is a good idea.
Old 11th October 2019, 08:49 PM   #12
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

That said, with the amps, electronics available today, probably best overall to use a ~0.5 Qts driver for transient perfect response as the mean and let cabin gain combined with parametric EQ allow sufficient latitude for tailoring it to one's 'taste' based on windows up/down and/or different music genres.
Exactly. Even careful adjustment of LP frequency and amplifier level adjustments alone can transform things quite a bit.
Old 12th October 2019, 02:37 AM   #13
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audfrknaveen View Post
Currently I'm looking to buy this driver as it is easily available in my area.
TS-W306R | Pioneer
The Qts is slightly higher than 0.7
That's why I'm wondering is this ok for my application.
It is OK, do not look further.
Old 13th October 2019, 02:03 PM   #14
audfrknaveen is offline audfrknaveen  India
diyAudio Member

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the inputs !!!
Il check for few more drivers available to me locally, if I can't find better drivers, il proceed with the pioneer model I shared earlier.

Thank you so much for all the support !!!
Old 15th October 2019, 01:09 AM   #15
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Pioneer speaker has a 4 cm voice coil. This is good for, maybe 100W rms. Not really a sub woofer, seems to be a cheap junk design rip off. 350 W rms look for a, at least, 75mm VC.

The Qts for an "free air" woofer should be around 0.6-0.8 Low resonance frequency around 30 Hz is fine, too. So look for 12" woofer or larger with these parameters.
"free air" is what you call a in car installation which is close to infinite baffle, where the volume of a box can not be calculated, because it is more or less open= very high losses. The virtual volume of that cavity may even change with frequency.

A woofer with a Qts lower than 0,7 may need some boost, which explains the need for high power in car installations.
A lot of cheaper PA speakers will work inside a car, as long as you keep it dry.
I even had dedicated car speakers rusting away, so all day, all year use off a car HIFI installation may need some attention.

A funny thing about large cone diameter /displacement in a car with closed doors/ windows, is the point where the car becomes a pressure chamber. Car HIFI is so far away from "normal" Hifi, some even think it is no Hifi. Which in many cases may be right. Like these Pioneer woofers...

If you do not want to measure your results with a microphone, a good indicator you make some serious bass is when the number plates start making noise and you have to glue them down.

Last edited by Turbowatch2; 15th October 2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 15th October 2019, 06:27 AM   #16
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

We don't know what the rest of the system is, so it's a guessing game as to what the OP needs to integrate well. But with a claimed 96dB sensitivity, if the Pioneers can deal with anywhere close to 100W RMS, they'll be more than enough if the goal is listening to music.

If he just want to rattle his tag or annoy people as he drives by, then ya'll go ahead and knock yourselves out.

Recommended QTS for infinite baffle Car subs 0.5 to 0.7 or higher than 0.7??Hide this!Advertise here!