JL Audio 12W7 in reasonably sized cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an original 12W7 that's been sitting around for years. I'd like to build a box for it so I can actually use it (it's currently sitting in an automotive-style cabinet that's not really suited for it). WinISD says that in a sealed box I won't get any reasonable output below 40hz. If I choose a design with a single port, it suggests a 5 cu ft enclosure and 4" diameter port (I don't remember the length). I'm not an expert with WinISD by any means, but with the different designs I tested, the ported seems to be best, and can get down to about 20hz, which is what I'd like. However, a 5 cu ft enclosure is way too large. I note that JL Audio's Fathom home subwoofer goes down to 19hz, is a small sealed enclosure and uses what appears to be the same driver (although JL audio at one time said it wasn't identical).

Is it possible to get down to about 20hz without building a huge enclosure for this woofer? How does JL audio do it? EQ?

I have an original 12W7 that's been sitting around for years. I'd like to build a box for it so I can actually use it (it's currently sitting in an automotive-style cabinet that's not really suited for it). WinISD says that in a sealed box I won't get any reasonable output below 40hz. If I choose a design with a single port, it suggests a 5 cu ft enclosure and 4" diameter port (I don't remember the length). I'm not an expert with WinISD by any means, but with the different designs I tested, the ported seems to be best, and can get down to about 20hz, which is what I'd like. However, a 5 cu ft enclosure is way too large. I note that JL Audio's Fathom home subwoofer goes down to 19hz, is a small sealed enclosure and uses what appears to be the same driver (although JL audio at one time said it wasn't identical).

Is it possible to get down to about 20hz without building a huge enclosure for this woofer? How does JL audio do it? EQ?
A sealed enclosure without EQ will always result in less extensions since you use the port output to get just that: extension. However, sealed does have its merits

sealed: small enclosure, needs more power, extension as deep as you want, less output
bass reflex: bigger enclosure, more efficient, extension is limited by tuning frequency of port, needs high pass filter to prevent over excursion < port frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.