Alpine R-W12D4 Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I've just joined this forum as I'm wanting to build a new enclosure for the Alpine subwoofer I have. It will be going into my home theater set up but I'm not sure what will be the best possible route to get started on. I would like to build a transmission line style enclosure but I need to find out how and where to get the perfect measurements to get the best from the speaker. Failing that I can either have a ported or sealed box but I'm not sure which is going to give the best bass for my efforts. So where is the best place to get dimensions for a good enclosure?

Here's some of the speakers parameters

SPL = 84.7 dB
Re = 3.6ohms + 3.6ohms
Le = 4.46 mH
Fs = 28 Hz
Vas = 48 L
Qms = 7.15
Qes = 0.61
Qts = 0.56
Sd = 479 cm²

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! I decided I'll just go with a ported enclosure as I stumbled across a site last night which gave me all the measurements and information I was needing to get something made up. I'll leave the transmission line speakers for my next project and build up all the information I need to get the transmission ones perfect.

Hello, I've just joined this forum as I'm wanting to build a new enclosure for the Alpine subwoofer I have. It will be going into my home theater set up but I'm not sure what will be the best possible route to get started on. I would like to build a transmission line style enclosure but I need to find out how and where to get the perfect measurements to get the best from the speaker. Failing that I can either have a ported or sealed box but I'm not sure which is going to give the best bass for my efforts. So where is the best place to get dimensions for a good enclosure?

Here's some of the speakers parameters

SPL = 84.7 dB
Re = 3.6ohms + 3.6ohms
Le = 4.46 mH
Fs = 28 Hz
Vas = 48 L
Qms = 7.15
Qes = 0.61
Qts = 0.56
Sd = 479 cm²

Thanks in advance

Greets!

Driver specs aren't real critical for TLs, so published is normally fine, but obviously need to measure your own if you want the most accurate.

Anyway, did a simple 20 Hz pipe TL for the R-W12D2 awhile back, so loaded these specs and looks fine to me, though between driver size, low tuning is quite large at 372 cm long, ~409 L.

A TQWT is 313 cm long, ~241 L.

Both Xmax limited to ~250 W.

GM

Attachments

• R-W12D4_TL.txt
    1 KB · Views: 48
  • R-W12D4_TQWT.txt
    1 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the information guys, it's given me more to think about as I was just going to go with the reccomended manufacturer specs of a enclosure with a 1.71cu. ft. And tune it to around 35hz? As I will be using the sub for our home system so it will need to cope with a wide variety of different films and music. Now I'm not sure what size to go for haha.

Here are a couple of sims. Really digs deep, even sealed is not bad imo.

Attachments

• IMG_9319.jpg
    IMG_9319.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9320.jpg
    IMG_9320.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.