Project – 2 x Peerless XLS 10” 20Hz tuned slot port subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Photos correct way up

Attachments

• 20191005_192710.jpg
    20191005_192710.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 20191005_192703.jpg
    20191005_192703.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 477
Ok, so looking closely at Bjornos modelling, clearly I should have used some stuffing to eliminate the spikes at around the port resonance. This was an oversight on my part, but lessons learnt! This was a trial for me, and I'm really happy with the results. My floorstanders have useable response down to approx 45Hz, so this design was intended mainly to fill from there down. My "as built" port length was 1.3meters.

Thanks

Put 4 coats of primer on, leaving the top coat for next summer, should give the enclosure time to climatize, possibility for seems to open up, so don't see point in finishing it yet anyway.

All sounding well, really happy with it. When I open it up next year, I'll consider putting acoustic lining on the panel behind the drivers, as I suspect this is contributing to a slightly muddy upper bass - reflections coming through the driver. It's barely noticeable, I'm just being quite picky

Any advice on what type of lining might be suitable? I've seen some eggbox self adhesive foam which might be ok - Eggbox Profile Foam Laminate Panel

Thanks

Attachments

• 20191007_222643.jpg
    20191007_222643.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 453
  • 20191007_222649.jpg
    20191007_222649.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 427
  • 20191007_222627.jpg
    20191007_222627.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 428
Measurements with UMIK. Pink Line is natural response with only the AV Amps 60Hz - 24dB/octave LPF. Blue Line is the same but with mild PEQ applied.

Each of the two lines are averages derived from 5 positions (across 3 seats on a sofa), with the mic in the exact same spot for each of the 5 x before and after PEQ measurements.

Martin

Attachments

• Before and After PEQ.jpg
    Before and After PEQ.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 247
Thanks. I'm really happy with it. Here's some more measurements. This time, I took 27 measurements from 9 points across the whole of my corner four seat sofa. These are averages of 9 measurements. I've included the raw measurements too.

Pink Line - 250Hz 24dB/oct LPF.

Blue Line - Above + PEQ

Green Line - Above + 16Hz BW 30dB/oct HPF + 100Hz BW 12dB/oct LPF

I also played a song with 30Hz content, and recorded 116.5dB on the REW meter with UMIK. Really should have done a sweep as well, but headache and neighbours inhibited me. I'll post that another weekend.

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum. Cheers, Martin

Attachments

• Max SPL - Config 4.jpg
    Max SPL - Config 4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 129
  • All SPL.jpg
    All SPL.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 154
  • All SPL - Averages Only.jpg
    All SPL - Averages Only.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 183
Thanks Jag768, and many thanks for the inspiration along the way.

The reality is I would not have built this without the contributions from diyaudio. This was a learning experience for myself, and I can only hope the record of my design (including its faults), will help others in the future.

Cheers, Martin

Jag768. I forgot to mention - I bought the Minidsp 2x4 HD version. The graphs above show a subsonic filter applied, with what appears to be no peaking. I know this isn't the best method to test, should really be done with electrical measurements directly at the input and output of the minidsp, but I'm guessing any peaking would show up in the green response curve?

Cheers

Jag768. I forgot to mention - I bought the Minidsp 2x4 HD version. The graphs above show a subsonic filter applied, with what appears to be no peaking. I know this isn't the best method to test, should really be done with electrical measurements directly at the input and output of the minidsp, but I'm guessing any peaking would show up in the green response curve?

Cheers
Totally agree. Ill try to remember linking to this thread if ever this issue comes up again :)

Great looking enclosure! Looks like you built what you modeled!

Thanks. Really happy with the measurements, although I'm not sure how the response manages to stay relatively flat down to 10Hz. Doesnt make any difference once the subsonic filter is applied anyway.

I have one of the minidsp slots configured without the subsonic filter, but a compressor instead, so achieve response down to 10Hz, and no group delay associated with the subsonic filter, but with limited output

Thanks. Really happy with the measurements, although I'm not sure how the response manages to stay relatively flat down to 10Hz. Doesnt make any difference once the subsonic filter is applied anyway.

I have one of the minidsp slots configured without the subsonic filter, but a compressor instead, so achieve response down to 10Hz, and no group delay associated with the subsonic filter, but with limited output

Even a nearfield room measurement will show lots of ambient noise below 30Hz, so it is not reliable. Outdoor ground plane would be better. It also depneds on the mic capsule, amp and software used.

I'm planning to line opposing panels only on the inside of this box, to reduce artefacts, muddiness in the upper bass and eliminate reflections. I've found some sticky back egg box foam. Attached is an example of the sound absorption coefficient. Any thoughts on whether this will improve in the way I'm hoping? I'd be happy with any improvement, so currently thinking about lining the wall behind the top driver, top panel and one side panel.

Attachments

• 20191109_205435.jpg
    20191109_205435.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 252
This is what im thinking to start. 30mm egg crate foam on internal panels marked in red. I'd like to measure before and after - I'll do near field and listening position measurements.

If I'm still not happy I'll line more panels.

Attachments

• 20191110_100826.jpg
    20191110_100826.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 253
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.