Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A 32Hz tuned TH for a dub soundsystem
A 32Hz tuned TH for a dub soundsystem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 10:54 PM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_ski View Post
Horns (tapped, rear loaded, or front loaded) use Hoffman’s iron law in reverse.
Yeah, the scoop's theoretically big enough for 5% @ 30 Hz = ~99 dB, but driver, etc., losses makes us lucky to get it at 32 Hz.

GM
Old 25th August 2019, 11:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
So yes, it's possible.
Oh, so it only has to be down to 32 Hz in a four square stack?

GM
Old 25th August 2019, 11:29 PM   #13
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

OP's question was "Is this possible to make a TH of around 100dB on 1w/1m tuned to 32Hz or lower?" This design appears to meet that specification. I'm not sure that it meets the power-handling though (I modeled it using the B&C 18TBX100)
Old 26th August 2019, 03:41 AM   #14
waxx is online now waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Oh, so it only has to be down to 32 Hz in a four square stack?

GM
No, that is not what i ask. I want that response with one th.
Old 26th August 2019, 05:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmm, OK, to clarify, my original understanding was you want 32 Hz/~100 dB, which requires a lower tuning, whereas Brian's sim is only ~96 dB/32 Hz, rising to 100+ dB, so has he given you what you want?

GM
Old 26th August 2019, 05:14 AM   #16
waxx is online now waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Ok, it's very early in the morning here, my brain did not work yet. But it looks like that one is good. I'm going to study it more. Thanks for the response.
Old 26th August 2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A slightly enlarged ROAR18 with a B&C 18DS115-4 can produce 131 dB @ 32 Hz 2,0 Pi with 2200 watts of power.

It will have a very powerful tactile reproduction of bass and a great midbass impact and punch, perfect for dub and reggae.

A friend tested playing bass guitar on my ROAR12 and it was to powerful for his needs (up to 100 persons in small indoor venues). He really loved the sound, the attack and crisp high definition, but it was to physically overwhelming for his needs.

Quote:
The size may not be too big (the size of a standard scoop would be perfect) so an otthorn is out of the question
I missed this part so my proposed ROAR18 is out of the question (it is huge!!)

Regards,
Johannes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROAR18-32Hz-data.JPG (86.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg ROAR18-32Hz.jpg (123.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 26th August 2019, 06:28 PM   #18
SillySounds is offline SillySounds  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
Sorry, but that is ********. The horn of a scoop or a folded horn does push the sub to further in the field than a tapped horn (depending on the hornmouth), and certainly than a ported or sealed woofer. It's not that you don't hear it off axis like a line array, but there is certainly a throw that makes the subbass go further than a sub with no hornloading even if subbas is omnidirectional. I know that from 25 years in the field as soundengineer, dj and promotor. That horn also works as waveguide wich concentrate the subbass in a cardiod throw.

And we already did the test with a scoop with a Fane Colossus 18XB driver, and the same driver in a ported cabinet in a small bar measuring the noise at the neighbours house. The neighbour (who lives in the line of fire of the scoop) had about 6dB more noise with the scoop than with the ported cabinet on the same level in the bar. That bar changed their 2 scoops they had as sub for ported cabinets with the same fane driver (but 2 drivers and double the amp power to make up for the loss of efficiency) and had much less noise complaints after that while keeping the same spl level inside.

outdoors throw is only to do with how loud the cab is playing. what your explaining in your test is to do with room dynamics. to have a cardiod setup you need many subwoofers. sometimes refered to power alley/bass alley.

Btw maybe look at xoc1 th18. a lot of documention on a thread here, should be very good for what you need (if Danley thinks it works i think its a good sign

Last edited by SillySounds; 26th August 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 26th August 2019, 07:24 PM   #19
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is a lok of information in the Flat to 30 Thread
C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness,
This Plan is close to your requirements
C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness
End Result
C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness
Tapped horns tuned this low need large excursion to avoid that being the limitation of the design.
Old 30th August 2019, 05:24 PM   #20
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
Sorry, but that is ********. The horn of a scoop or a folded horn does push the sub to further in the field than a tapped horn (depending on the hornmouth), and certainly than a ported or sealed woofer. It's not that you don't hear it off axis like a line array, but there is certainly a throw that makes the subbass go further than a sub with no hornloading even if subbas is omnidirectional. I know that from 25 years in the field as soundengineer, dj and promotor. That horn also works as waveguide wich concentrate the subbass in a cardiod throw.

And we already did the test with a scoop with a Fane Colossus 18XB driver, and the same driver in a ported cabinet in a small bar measuring the noise at the neighbours house. The neighbour (who lives in the line of fire of the scoop) had about 6dB more noise with the scoop than with the ported cabinet on the same level in the bar. That bar changed their 2 scoops they had as sub for ported cabinets with the same fane driver (but 2 drivers and double the amp power to make up for the loss of efficiency) and had much less noise complaints after that while keeping the same spl level inside.
Here is some data:
Tapped Horn Directivity
Keep in mind though frontal area is the dominant factor.

A 32Hz tuned TH for a dub soundsystemHide this!Advertise here!