EV T18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does your band run subs? Ever play an Ampeg cab? The T18 plans posted look like a great intro to building. Any decent carpenter/cab shop could whip them up in no time. Also, there are usually T18 on ebay, maybe keep an eye on them and snag one when one is close to you.

My brother is a cabinet maker, He has two T18's in my shed and two more in cutouts. T18's are not for gigging bass players or small club's but a T12 is just the box to handle big and small. How do I get the right numbers for a T12 because the Cubo12 is a bandpass box.

I'm not sure - I have a hornresp sim for Cubo 15 and not sure if a 0.8 scale Cubo15 = a Cubo12 (?) Cubo's creator sometimes comes to these forums and could give good advice. What 12" do you intend to use?

It might be easier overall to use two cabinets

mRJpODq.png

I looked at the Cubo 12 and it is a bandpass box and that's not good for bass guitar.

My brother is a cabinet maker, He has two T18's in my shed and two more in cutouts. T18's are not for gigging bass players or small club's but a T12 is just the box to handle big and small. How do I get the right numbers for a T12 because the Cubo12 is a bandpass box.

Ran 4 MTL1 (double T18) in my heyday and was a nice box for the day but not so much these days. The popular TH designs here walk all over them now. I suggest asking your bro to help build one and compare. I suggest a Keystone.

As a bass player, I use an SVT and fridge rig so I am pretty set in my ways in terms for tone. Your driver is known for working in the design, so I say go and make some sawdust and have fun.

Ran 4 MTL1 (double T18) in my heyday and was a nice box for the day but not so much these days. The popular TH designs here walk all over them now. I suggest asking your bro to help build one and compare. I suggest a Keystone.

As a bass player, I use an SVT and fridge rig so I am pretty set in my ways in terms for tone. Your driver is known for working in the design, so I say go and make some sawdust and have fun.

I've had four back surgeries and I can tell you that two 810 cabs and something that will go down to two ohms to run them, is the holy grail of bass guitar.:)

I looked at the Cubo 12 and it is a bandpass box and that's not good for bass guitar.

The cubo12 does not have a good shot at the port like a T18 does. This is what gives the T18 highs, mids, and lows. The center of the cone is aimed at the port. I think I'm gonna have to take a shot in the dark on this one. A narrow T18 style box fitted for a 12 inch driver.

fwiw PA310 basic sim. It should hold down 40v peaks within its xmax rating. In a Karlson 12 crossing over to a slotted pipe tweeter, its murky as hell compared to Kappa12a - but that may not be the way it sounds with bass guitar. It might have a nice balance.

EJ3jrQO.png

Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

As the designer of the Keystone sub, I can say that it would not be my first choice as a bass guitar speaker unless using it below something that sounds good above 200Hz or so.

Go on Partsexpress.com and look under ProAudio, they list all the speaker specs., and they will even give tech info on box size and porting. I like parts express.

if T18 were scaled 0.83X for a 15" it would tune much like the old JBL C40 "Harkness". The Harkness should be stronger around 150Hz but otherwise pretty similar. A little Karlson box tuned ~55Hz (say 27"H x 20"Wx 13.5"D) about 32 liters smaller than the 0.83 scaled T18 would be about as good but probably a more subdued midrange - oh maybe not as the Karlson's on is facing outwards - lol

C19z66f.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.