Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bandpass Sub for Patio - mounted in crawlspace
Bandpass Sub for Patio - mounted in crawlspace
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2019, 07:08 PM   #11
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8usrnames View Post
This is the latest idea.
Your sketch in post #6 has a rather large plenum/manifold which will increase upper output (80 Hz and up) quite a bit. Minimizing the size of the enclosed plenum area to the wall depth will make response like a standard ported cabinet.
Old 15th August 2019, 07:36 PM   #12
iH8usrnames is offline iH8usrnames  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Your sketch in post #6 has a rather large plenum/manifold which will increase upper output (80 Hz and up) quite a bit. Minimizing the size of the enclosed plenum area to the wall depth will make response like a standard ported cabinet.
It was a quick sketch to explain to goal in another speaker building site.

This is what I have come up with, however, I do believe there is something wrong with the WinISD file representing the PA460 driver.

Using the PA460-8 driver I created the following:
1. 7.75cuft cabinet tuned to 34hz and high pass filter set to 25hz.
2. A 6th order bandpass cabinet:
- Rear chamber is 7.75cuft and tuned to 34hz
- Front chamber is 1.5cuft and tuned to 150hz and a port opening of - 18"x6"this results in a port length of 0
- High pass filter set to 25hz.

I figured a 6th order cabinet where the front chamber is the anticipated volume of the manifold, and the port size is equal to the anticipated opening of the manifold would be a useful simulation.

If anybody would like to look at the WinISD files they can be downloaded here:
May have to right click and "save link as" to download as a file, otherwise just opens the text in a new page.
Manifold Simulation
Ported Cabinet

In an ideal world I would build a standard ported box where the port is on the front of the cabinet. I would then have the driver and port feed into a manifold and out through the wall - thus I only have a single hole in the house.

I am not entirely sure how to model this or if its realistic. I would like to keep the overall penetrations to a minimum but have decided an 18" x 6" should do the trick.

Last edited by iH8usrnames; 15th August 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:02 PM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll take my chances.
Looking good and hope the neighbors stay friendly/tolerant.

GM
Old 15th August 2019, 11:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Using a Dayton Audio PA460-8 in a 4th order bandpass resulted in something quite workable, I believe.

Rear Volume 9cuft
Front Volume 5cuft
Tuning 50hz
High Pass filter set to 30hz
Nets a flat response from 40-80hz with theoretical max SPL of 118db.

Just adjust tuning frequency to 40hz and it still has a decent flat response from 30hz to 80hz and SPL of 114db

But WinISD v the real world?
Way back when I used WinISD, don't recall having the option, but Hornresp is more accurate.

Loaded the 50 Hz Fb/BP4 into Hornresp and with 30 Hz hi-pass can handle 50 Hz/116 dB/m/85 W/2pi, but doesn't sim flat; it needs a smaller front chamber tuned lower to flatten it out.

Load Hornresp and IMPORT my .txt file to see all the info, play with the Wizard: Hornresp

Official thread: Hornresp

GM
Attached Images
File Type: png Dayton PA460-8 50 Hz BP4.PNG (44.6 KB, 34 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt PA460-8_BP4.txt (1.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th August 2019, 12:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am not entirely sure how to model this or if its realistic. I would like to keep the overall penetrations to a minimum but have decided an 18" x 6" should do the trick.
Sorry, didn't feel like wading through all that, so just did a series 6th order in the same vein as the BP4:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: png Dayton PA460-8 ~22 Hz BP6 series.PNG (60.4 KB, 28 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt PA460-8_BP6s.txt (1.0 KB, 1 views)

Bandpass Sub for Patio - mounted in crawlspaceHide this!Advertise here!