tell me what do you think

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dunno, don't have Excel loaded to use Brian's folding SS, but being parabolic will be simpler than the expos.

GM

That Hog scoop fold is waving a number of red flags at me. That small chamber holding the driver's magnet at the top of the box looks like it's going to lead to a lot of heat buildup, compared to an SS-type TH fold (where the magnet is sitting in the mouth of the horn, and at the bottom of the box).

(Rog's Scoop should be better re: packing, etc.)

SUPER SCOOPER Speakerplans.com

21Scoopa.jpg
21Scoopb.jpg

here's a bad stab at the hog scaled 1.17 then cut in width
(its probably "off")

DlyXswd.png

Last edited:
That Hog scoop fold is waving a number of red flags at me. That small chamber holding the driver's magnet at the top of the box looks like it's going to lead to a lot of heat buildup, compared to an SS-type TH fold (where the magnet is sitting in the mouth of the horn, and at the bottom of the box).

Not as bad as the real hog scoop. ;) Regardless, nowhere near the heat rise of a compression horn loaded woofer.

GM

and Freddi with the win! I KNEW there was a 21 design out there but could not remember the name. Not sure if this has been pointed out but you will definitely need some kick bins with the scoops due to all of the cancellation. Not sure if you have run much sound but the kick/mid bass section is actually where the magic happens.

Sorry Erik! Thanks for taking a look! I am REAL curious to compare the scoop vs an OTHORN. Also, in researching there apparently is a RLH/scoop setting in HR and it must be set or the sim will be off. Not sure how to do that.

Before I forget, OP, you will need to HP these subs.

If it was me, I would design all-new scoop (or something else) for 21" rather than using scaled-up hog scoop design. Cannot remember who made it but it was not that good.. so much work and huge enclosure is nice looking maybe but SPL wise no go.

Hog is good design as it is, for proper 18" drivers. I have them too and they always makes me smile when cranked up. "omg how loud it is and cones are barely moving!".

I also have 12" scoops but they are rubbish.

Last edited:
All these mini horn designs suffer from lack of real bass extension.However there is no doubt if one can provide real slam in the 40-100Hz range the results can be most satisfying.

Scoops and hogs work lower if you group them (at least 4) wich is what is traditionally done in a reggae sound system. They speak about a stack and that is a group of 4 scoops and the kicks and tops for that amount of scoops. This is a typical scoop stack from one of the most famous reggae/dub sounds called Channel One (it's one of the at least 3 stacks they have)

Attachments

• image[1].jpg
    image[1].jpg
    648 KB · Views: 103
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.