Repairing Audioengine S8 that won't come out of standby

Hi all,
First time poster here. I've got an Audioengine AS8 subwoofer that after working for years, won't come out of standby. The power LED stays "red" (standby) and never switches to "green" after sensing an audio signal.

I've troubleshooted in various ways:
- Tested the different input configurations
- Taken the sub apart to look for bad caps. Found one loose cap and re-soldered it with no change.
- Tested all fuses. None are blown.
- General visual inspection.

I can't find a circuit diagram. If I was more capable I would find a way to bypass the standby function and just leave the amp on. Attached are some photos. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 184
I was experiencing a similar issue where if the audio being input into the subwoofer became quiet or had a pause of some kind, the sub would go into standby mode (yellow/red led). And then when the audio input volume increased, the sub would take a few seconds and wake up / come back out of standby mode (green led). Thus causing audio drop outs due to the sub constantly sleeping and waking depending on the volume of the audio.

I replaced a bunch of capacitors that looked bad and still the issue remained.

If I was more capable I would find a way to bypass the standby function and just leave the amp on.

So I wouldn't call myself capable, but by following some traces and poking the circuit board with a wire while powered on, I was able to find a location to solder a jumper wire in order to short two pins on an IC near the standby led. This seemingly bypassed the standby function entirely (led stays green at all times when powered on).

Posting pictures with the exact location of the jumper wire. Again, I have no idea if this could possibly damage the subwoofer, but I was on the brink of throwing it out so it was worth a shot. Just make sure you power it off when not in use to prevent idle power consumption due to lack of the power-saving standby function.

Hope this is able to help someone else with a similar issue.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    180.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    253.8 KB · Views: 87