small sealed sub driver recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
greetings,
i’d like to build 2 small sealed passive subs to support full range speakers (jordan jx92s in sealed 9 litre enclosures). they will be driven by 2 channels of a primare A30/5 5 channel amp (120rms into 8ohms, 200rms into 4 ohms). active crossover and room correction via dsp.
i’m having difficulty finding a suitable driver. i’m not a designer and there seems to be hundreds of drivers to sort through, so i thought maybe someone else might have gone down this road recently and could offer suggestions. i’m listening mainly to small ensemble music of various kinds, at moderate levels in a moderately sized room, so no home theatre special effects requirements.
perhaps naively i figured i could build a simple sealed enclosure of say 20-25 litres that would do the job given the right driver. cost isn’t necessarily a consideration at this point.

In the 20-25L range, I'd be looking at an 8-10" driver. Efficiency (and therefore ultimate output) won't be particularly high, but it sounds like you're not looking for party levels.

IIRC, Faital Pro is available at sensible money in Australia. They do have a few drivers with rubber surrounds etc that look more geared towards HiFi and studio speakers.

Chris

10" Peerless 830452 by Tymphany would be a good start in that sort of box but I think it would be reasonably hard to drive. You would be better having them driven with a plate amp. I know this is a DIY forum but you would do worse than one or two of the BK Eelctronics XLS 200 though I appreciate you may not get them in your neck of the woods. You could copy the design with a suitable alternative amp though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.