Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Space Saver Horn
Space Saver Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 10:59 PM   #1
TimLewis is offline TimLewis  England
diyAudio Member

Default Space Saver Horn

Taking inspiration from Bill Fitzmaurice and the V-Plate, I wondered how far can you take this concept in the battle against Hoffman Iron law. Good horn subwoofers require a big mouth and you can't cheat by just rapid flaring in the last few inches of cab. I'd expect this design to have poor low frequency loading as a standalone, but pair two cabs with piano hinge and a top plate and you have yourself a big horn subwoofer that packs down in the van.

Anyone else experimented with designs that use the outside of the cab as the final flare of the horn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Space Saver Horn.jpg (36.5 KB, 84 views)
Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Pretty far if setting/sealing on flat ground.

GM
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #3
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

I also have thought of this. Apparently most agree it works but no one seems interested enough to build some. I learned how to sim and got some pretty good results. Horn Extender/Wave-guide for TH
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #4
J. L. is online now J. L.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwiller View Post
I also have thought of this. Apparently most agree it works but no one seems interested enough to build some. I learned how to sim and got some pretty good results. Horn Extender/Wave-guide for TH
The idea has been tried...

J Bell designed a "bass stick" that was designed to be used in a "V" configuration and top-plated.

See here:
Dual MCM FLH

Dual MCM FLH

I built 4 of them, and used them side-by-side without v-plating. The floor and their fronts made two sides of an extended horn. Worked very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L.
Actually, they do not do too badly as shown in my picture. The floor forms one side of the final horn, and the standing cabinets the other side at 90 degrees. The four cabinets side-by-side result in a horn width of 72 inches by 44 inches high.
Joe L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2976.jpg (577.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by J. L.; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.

Space Saver HornHide this!Advertise here!