Pot question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a M&K sub and I need to replace the low pass filter pot. It has a 10k linear taper, 2 wire one on it and my question is can I replace it with a 10k linear 3 wire one and just not use one pole? If so, does it matter which of the 2 outer poles I use? I was thinking if I got it wrong the low pass filter adjustment would just be backwards? Thanks in advance!

Awesome. I already have the pot, so all I have to do is install it. When I installed the volume pot, I installed it backwards. I guess I should have checked the resistance first. All I did was put the wires on the new one in the same spots as the old one. 2 different brands though. Thanks guys!

Well, I thought it was just backwards, but I switched the 2 outer wires and same result. Also noticed that when I have all the speaker sizes set to large in my receiver settings, yo can barely hear the sub. When I set any of the 3 sizes to Small, it gets ridiculously loud and the driver moves outward probably 1/2" or more. And that's with the volume at minimum. I'm thinking the volume pot was supposed to be a linear taper pot instead of an audio taper. Anyone have any pot knowledge in this area?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.