15" sealed subs - simulated F3 values too high ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am trying to build sealed subs with 15" pro drivers.
In simulation with 100L box, I am getting the F3 values as shown in the attachments.

Aren't these F3 values too high for subwoofers??
Do they even sound like subs with these values?? Or do they just end up like mid bass?? Will they give tight and punchy bass for music??

We expect subwoofers to go down to 20hz or lower. So I am wondering if higher F3 is ok with larger drivers like 15" or 18"??

Should i look at drivers with rubber or foam surrounds?? Does it matter much?
I dont want boomy bass. Good transient responce is important for music.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 15inch sub F3.JPG
    15inch sub F3.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 422
Drivers designed for PA/Pro use accept different compromises than those intended for home/HiFi use.

One of these is that efficiency is more important, therefore they won't go as low in a given box size (Hoffman's Iron Law). Yet box size is indeed also important as portability is usually a factor.

Therefore, Pro/PA drivers are almost universally intended to be placed in vented or other higher order loading types, not sealed.

Even then, it is more typical to accept an F3 in the 35-45Hz ballpark rather than in the 20's.

So essentially the reason you're seeing such high F3's in sealed boxes is that you're trying to use the drivers in a way they weren't designed to be used.

Perhaps something from another market segment might suit better if sealed is a priority - do you have any access to Dayton for example where you are? Something from their RS or UM series might possibly be a better fit for your goals.

please correct me if my understanding is wrong ....

Bass from large drivers sound better even if they have higher F3 compared to bass from smaller drivers with lower F3.

I mean 15" or 18" drivers with F3 is around 45hz. sound better compared to 6" or 8" drivers with F3 around 30hz. Is this correct?

I know "better" is subjective and my statement is too generic.

My whole point is ... with larger drivers 15" or bigger, can we go ahead and build the box if simulated F3 is 45 to 50?? Or will it fail to sound like a subwoofer completely?

Im getting below values with 15" driver in a sealed box:
F3=50hz
F6=40hz
F10=30hz
Is this ok for music?

Last edited:
unfortunately ... i can't port it.
This box is for my friend, and sealed is preferred.

Now all I am wondering is .... are these values ok for a 15" subwoofer (for music)

F3=50hz
F6=40hz
F10=30hz

I just need tight and precise bass (good transient responce)
Low end rumble (like movies) is not needed

With a sealed cabinet you will be looking at adding EQ to get the bass response that you want.
Drivers with bigger x max will give you more bass, you will have to take in to account the excursion of the driver and the amount of power that will be needed.
As ever Hornresp will give you the answers you need.
This example is based on the Beyma 15WRS400. in a 100Litre sealed box.
This reaches x.max at about 40watts using a single boost at 41hz.

Attachments

• bema sealed 100L.jpg
    bema sealed 100L.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 362
Frequencies below 40Hz from a sealed woofer get assistance from boundaries (boundary gain) and room modes, alas pressurization below the lowet mode. These make the room response much "better" than simulated free-air looks. A ported woofer is much worse in this respect.

How will the subwoofer be amplified? Many plate amps have low bass boost option, often adjustable like Hypex and DaytonAudio. A large 15" driver can take this eq guite easily and it doesn't have to use hundreds of watts, at home. I have 2x15" sealed woofers in my HT room and below are some measurements without eq and xo.

Attachments

• ppsl room press.jpg
    ppsl room press.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 189
  • ppsl470 near vs room 500ms 112.png
    ppsl470 near vs room 500ms 112.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.